Need some advice on first tooling for new PM-30MV

AndrewH

Registered
Registered
Hey guys, the PM-30MV that I ordered just shipped and will be to me on Monday, so I’m planning to purchase a couple sets of end mills and maybe a face mill. Here’s what I’ve found so far:

E5E2A41E-C4D3-4322-949F-70755EED585D.png

87852D75-8A1F-45B0-994C-F2FB6FF1C43C.jpeg

Anything wrong with these choices just starting out? I figured this would cover me for mild steel and aluminum for now. I’ve also got my eye on this face mill:

4890FAA3-8DE6-41B3-B924-C88BD0E0C60E.png

So I figured that would get me started, any thoughts? Comments? Better suggestions?

Thanks guys!

I suggest you stay away from carbide as a newbie(?). Carbide is brittle breaks easily, especially on less than rigid machines. Learn how to get the right feeds and speeds with high speed steel, and learn how the metal and the chips talk to you when you are too slow, too fast, feeding too hard or too light, and what all that feels like to your hands on the machine and to your ears. You will break stuff unless you are lucky or going too slow and/or too easy, in which case you will dull the tools quickly. After you do that for a while, and have studied and learned things more, then take some baby steps with carbide. It gets annoying and frustrating watching $20-50 tools break one after the other...

Like Bob said- use HSS cutters for a while first. And do some aluminum milling first before trying to mill steel, just to get the hang of it.
You will find that you have to feed slower and take shallower cuts in steel, and while you can usually cut aluminum dry, with steel you usually
need to drip a little oil on while you cut.
Mark
ps I recommend getting a small fly cutter rather than a face mill

Last edited:
I would highly recommend a set of end mill holders with side screws to prevent those end mills from pulling down, and a starter collet set. Most other accessories I would wait till you actually need them before you purchase them. I bought a lot of stuff that still have not used in 3 years.

The good stuff is noticeably better than the imported HSS you can get, but HSS is way cheaper to learn on. Operator induced error will consume bits. One of my life sayings is "experience is something you get right after you needed it" I am learning the new language the machine is trying to teach me, sound and vibration tell you a lot. If you already have the experience disregard, otherwise these gentlemen speak volumes.

I suggest you stay away from carbide as a newbie(?). Carbide is brittle breaks easily, especially on less than rigid machines. Learn how to get the right feeds and speeds with high speed steel, and learn how the metal and the chips talk to you when you are too slow, too fast, feeding too hard or too light, and what all that feels like to your hands on the machine and to your ears. You will break stuff unless you are lucky or going too slow and/or too easy, in which case you will dull the tools quickly. After you do that for a while, and have studied and learned things more, then take some baby steps with carbide. It gets annoying and frustrating watching $20-50 tools break one after the other...

My apologies, I should have been a little more clear in my original post. I do (some) manual machining and a whole lot of CNC machining for a living (automotive parts), this is just the first mill that I’ve bought for my home so I’m by no means a total beginner.

I was mostly asking about their quality because at work we use Tungaloy and Seco tooling with a couple others sprinkled in but for the most part their prices are too high for a non-production environment so I’ve been looking around for lower cost alternatives.

I do absolutely appreciate your response, I have some cheaper HSS end mills to get a feel for this specific machine and once I do I plan to move on to carbide pretty quickly. Ultimately this machine will be converted to CNC, but of course I’m going to play with it in the meantime.

Congrats on the new mill! Assuming you have a vise, some T-nuts, edge finder, R-8 collets, drill chuck, etc. Perfect timing as Christmas is coming up; lots of things you could ask for as gifts.

Bruce

Congrats on the new mill! Assuming you have a vise, some T-nuts, edge finder, R-8 collets, drill chuck, etc. Perfect timing as Christmas is coming up; lots of things you could ask for as gifts.

Bruce

Thanks! I am pretty excited to get it, most of my experience is with machines quite a bit larger so I’m sure there will be a small learning curve compared to running Mori Seiki, Gleason and Saginaw machines.

Should definitely be an adventure, especially when I convert it to CNC.

You're gonna love the CNC. I bought a Bridgeport mill about 3 months ago really for the mill, not the 1985 Anilam 2-axis CNC. Love the mill but have a little buyer's remorse as I now want the 3rd axis. I'll upgrade mine at some point with a quill control like Jim Dawson added, new motors, controller, etc. Really makes me more productive and "cool" stuff with curves, tapers, etc. are a snap with a computer turning the wheels.

Just drove through Three Rivers by the way, headed to NSG (Pilkington) who supplies our GM assembly plant with windshields and back glass.

Best regards, Bruce

So back to your original question, I see no problem with using carbide or cobalt end mills, yeah we all make a few mistakes but we are learning. I primarily use 3 flute for aluminum, and those look like the ones you are looking at are ZRN (might help) coated. I can get 6+ months on carbide and I usually break a tooth from something stupid. May want a backup on the sizes you use the most, for me it is 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 and 3/4". May want a fine rougher for quick material removal, I also use combination end mills that are both a rougher and fine finish like the Minicut (powdered Cobalt). Climb milling for aluminum, some air and light lubricant. Otherwise I go with 4 or 5 flute for steel, etc. I have a bunch of 2 flutes, rarely use them as I get much better performance and less vibration with 3 and 4 flute. I would get a better insert end mill, maybe Shar's or Glacern should be able to swing a 3" on that size mill. You can also look for better brands like Iscar, Seco, etc. on evilbay. I also pick up a lot of name brand cobalt and carbide endmills there, although it is getting uncommon that ther is any bargains anymore. I did just pick up a bunch of Wadia 1/2" 3 flutes that work great in aluminum.

Back