Need some advice on holding a project

cnctruckeic

Registered
Registered
I am needing to cut some design out of sheet metal. The part is like 4in long 1.5 in wide out of like 16 guage sheet metal.

How would you guys mount this. Do you put a wood sacrifice under it? Once it is cut I have to milk out the center of this

Any ideas?

Thanks

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I'm assuming your plan to cut it on a milling machine. I've epoxied the sheet metal to a piece of aluminum that I could clamp down or hold in the vise. Then just put it in the BBQ grill on high till the epoxy goes away. Super glue might work as well, but you can't let the part heat up too much from machining, it isn't as strong or heat tolerant as epoxy. Super glue is easier to get off than the expoxy, though.

What kind of design and how accurate do the cuts need to be? Cut out a square in a rectangle piece of 16g. Drill your corners and use a jigsaw. Need it to be precise mount 16g piece on fixture plate sacrificial piece under it and mill at it. Your not gonna want to mount in vise chances of it folding.

What kind of design and how accurate do the cuts need to be? Cut out a square in a rectangle piece of 16g. Drill your corners and use a jigsaw. Need it to be precise mount 16g piece on fixture plate sacrificial piece under it and mill at it. Your not gonna want to mount in vise chances of it folding.

You don't have to worry about folding it if your sacrificial piece is thick enough.

Wood or aluminum under is how I do it. For wood I like MDF, it's stable and makes a good spoil board. You don't say how wide the flange is on the finished part, but screws & washers make good hold downs for stuff like this.

Back