VN Need Some Dividing Head Plates

Jason Annen

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Picked up a 10" vertical swivel VN dividing head. It's pretty much complete, but it only came with a single plate.

The specs are:. 6" od, 1.5" ID, 3 holes, 1/4" diameter, 120 degrees apart. I have plate 38, 39, 41, 42, 43, 46. I am in need of the 3 other plates.
24, 25, 28, 30, 34, 37
47, 49, 51, 53, 54, 57
58, 59, 62, 66

Looking to buy, or borrow so I can duplicate them.

Thanks, let me know if you can help.

Jason

You will need to give more info about the plate mounting. Some have holes for shoulder bolts, some for flat head screws, some plain drilled holes. The countersunk ones have different size heads. The exact bolt circle dimension is needed because some are close but not correct. Been there, done that... It does not sound like too big of a deal, but those plates are hardened, and not trivial to machine. You might be able to anneal the plate, machine to the needed size, and then re-harden it or simply leave it soft for occasional use.

Another possibility, especially if you have friends with CNC equipment, is to simply CNC out the plates as needed. It is a perfect application for those machines.

I have managed to use the plates I have to divide for the number of holes that I need on the new plate,
Every time you you make a hole ring it gives you more options.
Brian.

Just a couple of photo's showing a plate being made out of an old boat window, to allow me to cut the gears for a clock.
drilling plate.JPG P1011275.JPG

Regards Brian.

I ended up borrowing the missing plates from Uglydog, and I made a fixture to copy the plates. I used the 10" horizontal DH as the base, and made a shaft with two hubs to hold both the pattern plate and the blank. I used the DH crank as the pin indexer mounted off the table to hold the plates from rotating.

I can now copy both the 4 7/8" plates and the 6" plates well.

IMG_20161223_203424801_HDR.jpg

IMG_20161223_203438290.jpg

IMG_20161223_203453194_HDR.jpg

Jason

This is so cool!!
And you are using your swanky subhead!!!

Daryl
MN

I think this is the first time I've seen a vertical head in use. You have a good looking setup. I just realized that you can use the vertical head on either end of the table (as long as you don't want to drive the head with the table feed). Nice!

Nice work! How did you set the Y position of the table to get the drill the correct radial distance from the arbor?

Back