need some help on my 1964 Bridgeport J head mill

Mutt

Registered
Registered
Hey y'all Bridgeport folks out there, Bought this mill almost a couple of years ago and been using it every since. Pretty much daily. I changed it over to a 220v single phase with single phase 110v power feed on the left/right table axis. The mill runs fine in all 4 low speeds. When I move the hi/lo lever to the forward (A) position, then rotate the pulleys by hand until I hear/feel the clutch engage, then move the side lever to IN and turn it on, it's makes the loudest racket I've every heard. Like it's trying to disengage and the teeth are smacking each other. Strange, as SOMETIMES it will actually go into the high range, but the motor tends to smell hot, like there's some kinda drag on it while it is in the high range???

Anyone like to give me some advice ? I can remove the motor,adapter plate,belt cover, motor pulley, etc; very easily. What's next to remove, so I can see what the problem is and correct it? I need to use the high speeds often, but am far more times than not, stuck with having to use only the fastest of the 4 slow speeds.

Thanks y'all

Mutt in North Texas

Watch this and see if it helps.
+1 on the screw adjustment at 2min 35 seconds into the video. I was tightening that screw for 2 years on our j head at work. There are actually 2 screws, one on each side of the gear carriage. I finally stripped one out and replaced them both. When they are loose, they allow the internal gear/transmission to rub together in interference.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

so how do ya determine if these screws are worn? I checked both last night and both are tight.

On my old J head I had this exact issue. Look at 2:09, not having it click or snap down.

There are two pie shaped flat splines down inside the machine. My machine had a pile of swarf in there keeping them from engaging. A J head is not that hard to tear down, I'm sure there are lots of you tubes on how to do it.

Mine clicks into place, no problem there. Sometimes it will actually go into high range.

Back