[How do I?] Need some help reversing a motor

Did some quick metering on this motor, disconnected all wires that come out of the stator when doing so. They all seem to be connected internally, and I get a reading of 3-4.8 ohms between all wires. Going off your sketch, I’m guessing the start and main windings are connected within the stator? Does this mean I need to remove the stator from the case to separate the two circuits? I’m not sure that’s possible without messing up the windings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basically I’d need to follow the blue wire (common) back to where the two windings connect to it, break it there and bring out a new wire. Then I’d need to reconnect the blue wire if I left it connected to the main, the new wire would be connect to the start winding, I’d need to connect that wire to the start cap and then swap the start wire to the start cap to the common post on the terminal block. Think I got that right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes you need to locate the junction of the two windings where they connect to the blue (if that's actually how they connect, and I think they do) and break the start winding end free, then splice on a new wire, say orange. Then swap: orange to the capacitors and white back to blue + run winding
Use the meter to help identify the windings if necessary- don't add the new wire to the run winding by mistake

Last edited:
Hopefully you won't have to dig too deep into the stator to find the junction point, you may have to remove some insulating tubing or fish paper to reach it

This thing is turning into a real mess. I’ve had some time to play with the wiring and gotten no farther on it. See pic, turns out the blue wire AND brown wires were both tied together in the stator windings, I’ve separated the blue and brought out a new wire, but that’s gotten me nowhere. So now I dug out the Browns, and they are tied together, I’m not understanding why. Doesn’t appear to be a simple start/run winding set?

Attachments

• 4D8D66BD-6BC4-470D-A548-5290A52CB6BF.jpeg
    4D8D66BD-6BC4-470D-A548-5290A52CB6BF.jpeg
    70.1 KB · Views: 6
It seems like they did some switcheroo there with the wire colors- I suspected it would not match my sketch
Can you identify the two windings using the continuity test? Start with that white lead, that should be one end of the start winding. Find the other end of that guy now that you have all the wires separated. Verify you don't have continuity with any other wires. Once you have id'd the start winding then the rest will go more easily

Last edited:
How low of a resistance range does your meter measure? Do you have a RX1 range?

My meter low ohm range is 200.

I have continuity between white,green and blue.
Also between the browns and the blue. The blue is the wire I separated, so originally that was one single blue wire.

I’ll try to explain it different. The hot side wire comes in and goes into the thermal switch, from there it splits to the green and one of the brown wires that goes into the windings. That brown wire is spliced in the stator and the other brown wire comes back out from it to the top of the 40uf capacitor, and also the the 200uf capacitor (terminal on the top of the 40 is a double spade, both sides, the capacitors are in series) the white wire comes out of the stator and goes into the cent switch, and from there through the capacitors. The blue wire(s) go to the common side of the wall plug

Back