[How do I?] Need some help reversing a motor

OK my sketch is totally off. Disregard it. We've got a french puzzle LOL
Let me cogitate for a while, try to figger this out
4 ohms in parallel with 2.5 is about 1.5 ohms, so that measurement looks like both windings in parallel
The higher one is usually the start one, but this is a french design- sigh

Sorry for the trouble, I really didn’t think this would be as confusing as it’s turned out to be. But now it’s more of a “need to understand it” thing. Well that and the fact I’ve spent 3 days machining the parts to make this motor work on the saw so don’t want to start over lol

I hear you. Ok, so according to the measurements the white and green should be the start winding, but is there a path to any of the other wires from white and green? I'm not clear how white and green relates to brown and blue cuz my sketch is out the window- I have a feeling just swapping white and green won't work/ will cause a short
The 5 wires coming out of the stator is confusing me. I wonder if the motor in fact was wound for dual voltage and they simply wired it internally for 120?
That would indicate two run windings + one start winding

Now that makes sense now that you mention it. Since the blue AND brown wires are spliced in the stator.

I did some messing around earlier today and disconnected what I thought was the start winding, put my drill on running clockwise on the fan (target direction) and plugged it in. When I yanked the drill off, the motor continued to run, but appeared to be slower and noisy. I unplugged it quickly.

Nooo, we can't do 220 yet, 110 is still not clear enough to me. If white and green are "standing alone" then you just swap them and it should reverse. If you measure continuity from them to anything else, you can't- there will be blood. It seems that white is shared so you can't. The WHITE needs to be separated

Last edited:
That’s where I’m at. And why it’s a tough one. I do feel better that it’s not something simple and I just can’t see it.

Going back to post 16: you say the blue and both browns from the rotor symbol (post 7) were tied together in the stator?
Like this: ?
StatorF1.jpeg

Last edited:
1) Did you take those resistance measurements before you separated the blue and browns or after?
2) Does your meter read zero when probes are shorted together? How did you measure the 1.5 ohm in post 21?
3) With blue and browns separated, do you get the same 4 ohm and 2.5 ohm readings between grn and wht and blue and wht? What do you measure between blue and green?
4) The thermal button is disconnected correct?

I'm just trying to put some stakes in the ground here, bear with me

Last edited:
Back