Need some help spending my March 2015 budget! Help a newbie out! Thanks!

Earlkonig

Active User
Registered
Hey guys! I will be getting in to the awesome hobby of machining. My experience level is basically none. I have done some drilling with a mill/drill at work. I have a 4x6 bandsaw, a welding machine, a harbor freight 13" drill press, and many other various tools. I have been looking at this point for 1.5 yrs at my many options. I have looked at some CNC options and don't think it's an option ATM. I want a good lathe and mill. A RF45 is the minimum I will go for a bench mill. I would like a dro for both, but I need tooling, vises, turn table, dial indicators, test indicators and everything else. I am not expecting anyone to list everything one would need to get started, I just want you guys keep that I mind when suggesting tools. The budget is $10K and nothing will be added for a while since I had to negotiate this budget with my wife. I don't think she will be receptive to adding other machine cost any time soon. I will be making this purchase April 2015 so I still have plenty of time to do more research. I will be cross posting this between the Precision Matthews forum so let's keep this centered on Grizzly products if possible. Thanks for your time and help!

I'll bite. G0755 mill and G4003G lathe. Those are what I chose and would do it again with yours or my budget. The mill has power X travel, Z elevation motor, is incredibly smooth and accurate not to mention powerful. The lathe has a Norton gearbox that handles all American threads without gear changes making it a breeze for 99% of what I need to do. It also runs very smooth.
Throw in a couple of DRO Pros and you'll still have $2-2.5K for accessories and tooling. You'll want a vise (G7154), rotary table w/ dividing plates and tailstock (H7527). Get a 3" face mill from Glacern. Check Ebay, Shar's etc. for a R8 shank ER 32 collet set to hold end mills (There are good deals floating around for these). Next, hit Enco for Fly cutter holders with your 20% off coupon and free shipping. Throw in some Enco web deal Interstate brand roughing end mills, tin coated cobalt in 1/2, 3/8 and 1/4". Get one 3/4" end mill in finishing cut. Get a couple finisher end mills in various sizes as well. Maybe some small end mills. If there is room left in the budget, a better drill chuck for both the lathe and mill would be in order. (The stock ones are okay but only okay) Other requirements are oil cans, oil (I picked up 5 gallons each of Mobil DTE light and Vactra 2 on the Enco order which takes care of machine and way needs.) Desirables include a ER40 chuck for the lathe (I think the range of each collet is better than the 5-C way I headed). What else? :thinking:

Dave

Edit: Oh yeah, don't forget calipers and mics.

WOW Dave! I appreciate your thorough response. How do you like the G0755? My only real concern with the G0755 is lowering the head for milling operations. Any issues?

I love the mill. I'm surprised at how quiet the gear head is. It doesn't have a power down feed rather the motor moves the head to position it so you can mill using the quill. Saves your cranking arm but the crank is there if you need the exercise. The fit and finish is immaculate, the ways are smooth through full travel. It holds tram perfectly. I've cut a ton of steel and it handles it flawlessly. I've only milled aluminum once but it didn't know anything was on it, it was that easy. The only thing that isn't top shelf quality is a label on the stand that looks like it was done on one of those Cricut label cutters, just cheap looking. Maybe some day I will mill a real label for it.

Dave

I love the mill. I'm surprised at how quiet the gear head is. It doesn't have a power down feed rather the motor moves the head to position it so you can mill using the quill. Saves your cranking arm but the crank is there if you need the exercise. The fit and finish is immaculate, the ways are smooth through full travel. It holds tram perfectly. I've cut a ton of steel and it handles it flawlessly. I've only milled aluminum once but it didn't know anything was on it, it was that easy. The only thing that isn't top shelf quality is a label on the stand that looks like it was done on one of those Cricut label cutters, just cheap looking. Maybe some day I will mill a real label for it.

Dave

Awesome info Dave. Just a question out of ignorance. Would it be possible to manual lower the head for a said milling op and keep the quill locked?

Yes but I don't know why you would do that. The quill has coarse and fine down feed, stop adjustment and a lock you can engage at any time.
Dave

On a side note u have been eyeing a g9901 and a g0609 lathe to save me some cash. Would I regret going with a smaller lathe to get a larger mill? ATM most my projects are more mill oriented than lathe, but I know I need a lathe for various processes.

I would love a G9901. George Wilson would tell you the lathe is more important. I would be sad if I had less lathe. If I did start with a smaller lathe I would do so with the plan to later get the G4003G or the PM1340GT or G0709 (these features are important). I would then CNC the little lathe like jumps4 did.

Dave

On a side note u have been eyeing a g9901 and a g0609 lathe to save me some cash. Would I regret going with a smaller lathe to get a larger mill? ATM most my projects are more mill oriented than lathe, but I know I need a lathe for various processes.

You mentioned having an interest in gunsmithing in the PM forum. If that's the case and you will only have one lathe, I'd consider the G4003G as the minimum. Anything smaller and you will have difficulty doing work on rifle barrels.

I have a G4003G and it's quite a nice tool.

Subscribed.

I don't have a lot of knowledge of Grizzly machines, I just want to follow along with the thread.

Back