Need some help spending my March 2015 budget! Help a newbie out! Thanks!

No matter who you go with or what you get if you are going to buy from one source ask for a package deal, free shipping, through in some things for free. and don't be afraid to hang up, you can always call back later and place the order. Also I'm not sure that you need 7000rpms for a home hobby shop Not knocking a machine that can do this or saying it could not be used, just saying is it that important for a home hobby shop. Also I would like to know where 7000rpm would be used. The last thing I would add here is DROs are nice I have them on my mill. best thing I did for it no more counting turns of the crank. I do not have DRO on my lathe The only place on it where I realy wish I had it is on the carriage. The point here is they can be added latter as can a roto table if needed. Also remember you will soon have a machine shop where you can make alot of your own tools. Things I have made and seen guys make Like roto tables, ball turners, roto broaches, vises, angle plates it can all be made over time. For sure you will need a good selection of end mills, a good set of drill bits, some hss blanks (a grinder if you do not have one) Some cheep brazed lathe tools as you will destroy some of these learning. some mics, calipars, vise, Clamping set, parrallel set, reamers, edge finders, center drills, boring bars, an er collet set or end mill holders, DTI, DI, Squares. these are what I consider must haves. I would also add taps and dies. I'm sure there are some must have that I did not think of and I am sure others will bring them up. Be sureto keep 500 for the few things you realize you missed. Good luck and have fun. When you get set up we will all want to see pics of the shop and your projects.

Marknx this is some great info. When I get closer to the ok purchase date I will definitely make a thread documenting this journey. For now my garage will be my shop. I had a budget that wad originally three time larger than I have now and I was going to build an insulated heated and cooled shop, but this year my work just announced we have seven years left for work. Atleast with the budget I have now I can will save this up after one year without impacting my family budget. If the work sutuation changes then I can build my shop and add some more goodies to my machine tool collection. The list of things you guus have provided I am going to make an excel check sheet. That way I know I won't miss something and what to buy off ebay and other retailers. Thanks!

I would have thought turning it that fast would cause heat problems I guess not. I will have to try turning it faster. I have had some success in about 900 rpms With a really sharp bit on nylon and HDPE.
Thanks Mark

Not with flood coolant, only problem is some of these plastics float which creates a chip mess :cussing:Aluminum also benefits from higher spindle speeds, machining 3D molds which is time consuming. High speed machining taking lighter cuts at higher spindle and feed speeds, Gibbscam has a new high speed machining option that reduces cycle time on pockets by 40%. Plus if you are going to crash CRASH BIG lol!

................. Just saying I looked seriously at the G0755, if only it had more X and Y travel I needed 25x10.5 for one of my projects.

Sounds like all you needed was a swivel base for yer vise...problems solved....kinda..:lmao::lmao:

John

(I'm going for the G0755) :))

I am purchasing a mill tomorrow! I found a lightly used/like new grizzly g0731 with a drop installed for $2500. I will pick it up tomorrow morning.

Back