Need some help spending my March 2015 budget! Help a newbie out! Thanks!

A G4003G will likely be in my garage once I discover a 10% coupon code that works. :D

You mentioned having an interest in gunsmithing in the PM forum. If that's the case and you will only have one lathe, I'd consider the G4003G as the minimum. Anything smaller and you will have difficulty doing work on rifle barrels.

I have a G4003G and it's quite a nice tool.

what about the G0695 and the g4003g lathe? Any thoughts??

March 2015 budget

If you buy a Lathe and or mill. You can kiss the outher 11 mounths budget good by. :roflmao:

It is a sickness and there is no cure. Once you the first machine tool there is no turning back.:nono:

March 2015 budget

If you buy a Lathe and or mill. You can kiss the outher 11 mounths budget good by. :roflmao:

It is a sickness and there is no cure. Once you the first machine tool there is no turning back.:nono:

LOL I have heard this to be true. LOL Dont tell the misses.

what about the G0695 and the g4003g lathe? Any thoughts??
Excellent, but that would put you at $7,800. Spend say $1,500 at DRO Pros to equip each with a DRO and I don't think you have enough to tool them up.
The G0755 weighs a few pounds more than the G0695 and I promise you that it can cut just as well as its Taiwan relative and you won't have to spend another $500 to add power feed to the X.

Dave

I love my G0704 I bought it before the price wen't up. But at the price of the mills your looking at, You could get a used Bridge Port mill with dro and some tooling for the same or less money and have a much better machine.

Lathe - I chose the Grizzly G4003G and tricked her out with a DroPros EL400 DRO. I'm super happy with both. When shopping lathes consider the spindle cam lock, the G4003G has an upgraded D1-5 cam lock spindle vs the G4003 which has a D1-4. The D1-5 has 5 stout cam locks vs the D1-4 which has 3 smaller cam locks. Also compare spindle through bores the G4003G is a bit larger. There were a few flaws though I wasn't expecting perfection...

1. CHINA can't paint for ..... I had to finish painting the green stand myself. I'm talking areas of bare primer. Ace Hardware had rattle can paint that was spot on the same color hammered green paint, maybe 30 minutes to prep and paint and problem solved.

2. While the assembly was very good overall the motor installation was horrible. The motor was bolted on crooked, they drilled the motor bracket so far off to one side they had to extend the motor pulley half off the motor shaft to line up the belts AND the motor pulley was machined so poorly it wobbled on the shaft like a cartoon. Grizzly replaced the motor pulley, the replacement was perfect. I re-drilled and tapped the motor bracket to shift the motor over so that the motor pulley was not hanging half off the shaft and aligned everything square. A few hours of my time but I beam with accomplishment every time I walk by it.

3. I feel the stand is too tall, so does my 20 year machinist brother. Its also too shallow front to back, there is a tip over danger especially if you install leveling pads which results in an even shallower foot print. I plan to make a new stand for it.

Mill - I just spent a few months pouring over mill options. Recommend you give serious consideration to work cube, spindle rpm, gear vs belt drive, and available upgrade options. I considered the G0755, the G0722, several of the Grizzly knee mills, and similar offerings from other brands. I eliminated the knee mills due to lack of mobility and the difficulty in containing the mess they make vs I can sufficiently enclose a bench top mill to contain the mess and its not so big that I can't raise the leveling pads and move it around on casters. When the smoke cleared I opted for the Charter Oak 12z $2,350.

Factors...

1. Largest work cube of all the bench top mills at 12x26 inches conservatively.
2. 3 hp VFD option yields variable speed 0-3,600 rpm. The VFD is a Danfoss.
3. 2 speed belt drive option yields variable speed 0-5,300 rpm with VFD option above and less noise. Spindle bearings are rated to 7,000 rpm.
4. Designed with CNC conversion in mind (longer discussion).
5. Since they were out of the stock 3 hp motors mine shipped with a 3 hp Leeson continuous duty inverter rated motor.

Lathe - I chose the Grizzly G4003G and tricked her out with a DroPros EL400 DRO. I'm super happy with both. When shopping lathes consider the spindle cam lock, the G4003G has an upgraded D1-5 cam lock spindle vs the G4003 which has a D1-4. The D1-5 has 5 stout cam locks vs the D1-4 which has 3 smaller cam locks. Also compare spindle through bores the G4003G is a bit larger. There were a few flaws though I wasn't expecting perfection...

1. CHINA can't paint for ..... I had to finish painting the green stand myself. I'm talking areas of bare primer. Ace Hardware had rattle can paint that was spot on the same color hammered green paint, maybe 30 minutes to prep and paint and problem solved.

2. While the assembly was very good overall the motor installation was horrible. The motor was bolted on crooked, they drilled the motor bracket so far off to one side they had to extend the motor pulley half off the motor shaft to line up the belts AND the motor pulley was machined so poorly it wobbled on the shaft like a cartoon. Grizzly replaced the motor pulley, the replacement was perfect. I re-drilled and tapped the motor bracket to shift the motor over so that the motor pulley was not hanging half off the shaft and aligned everything square. A few hours of my time but I beam with accomplishment every time I walk by it.

3. I feel the stand is too tall, so does my 20 year machinist brother. Its also too shallow front to back, there is a tip over danger especially if you install leveling pads which results in an even shallower foot print. I plan to make a new stand for it.

Mill - I just spent a few months pouring over mill options. Recommend you give serious consideration to work cube, spindle rpm, gear vs belt drive, and available upgrade options. I considered the G0755, the G0722, several of the Grizzly knee mills, and similar offerings from other brands. I eliminated the knee mills due to lack of mobility and the difficulty in containing the mess they make vs I can sufficiently enclose a bench top mill to contain the mess and its not so big that I can't raise the leveling pads and move it around on casters. When the smoke cleared I opted for the Charter Oak 12z $2,350.

Factors...

1. Largest work cube of all the bench top mills at 12x26 inches conservatively.
2. 3 hp VFD option yields variable speed 0-3,600 rpm. The VFD is a Danfoss.
3. 2 speed belt drive option yields variable speed 0-5,300 rpm with VFD option above and less noise. Spindle bearings are rated to 7,000 rpm.
4. Designed with CNC conversion in mind (longer discussion).
5. Since they were out of the stock 3 hp motors mine shipped with a 3 hp Leeson continuous duty inverter rated motor.

I think I read your mill thread. I have considered the 12z, but past quality issues scare the crap out of me. I have talked with the new owners a year ago and they seem to offer good customer support. How are the ways? Also heard the Z axis would bind at the top and bottom while being loose in the middle.

[FONT=&quot]It all a matter of the budget, and at 10K for everything there needs to be some compromises. I currently own a PM1340GT and an Optimum BF-30, but I did a lot of research previously on both mills and lathes in your budget range. I can recommend the 1340GT, but not the BF-30 at its current price. If you're looking at Grizzly machines, I would recommend their G0720R Mill and G4003G lathe. The G0720R is a Sieg SX4 (at 3.5K), there is a nice review here http://www.mini-lathe.com/Mini_mill/Reviews/SX4/sx4-rvw.htm , add the base or build your own and save a few$$. I would consider the G0720R a step up from the generic RF45 type mills, the variable speed is really nice and not having to deal with the gear head is a real plus. The Z axis power feed is great, I added one to my mill. Consider including the X-axis power feed if you're not going CNC, once you use one you will never go back. The G4003G is probably the quintessential 12x36 gunsmith lathe, and comes with many costly accessories in the gunsmith version. At 3.5K delivered, it will save you well over 2K for a comparable Taiwanese version (Eissen 12x36 or PM1340GT).[/FONT][FONT=&quot] There are many branded versions of this mill, but Grizzly offers a very nice package and the stability of a well known company.

Consider an Easson ES-12 DRO ($600-700) for the mill, and if needed an Easson 8A ($500) for the lathe. The cost difference between and Easson and a generic Sino is small in comparison the quality/warranty and usability. Consider Grizzly for your additional items or a vendor like Shar's if you want decent quality and pricing. You will get the basics, but nothing fancy, otherwise look at flea markets, auctions....

Save 5% on your Grizzly order if you are a first time buyer. Usually if you request a hard copy catalog, there is a printed number on the back for this discount, pays for the shipping[/FONT]. Get the basic tooling, and add on a later date as the budget and experience permits.

[FONT=&amp]It all a matter of the budget, and at 10K for everything there needs to be some compromises. I currently own a PM1340GT and an Optimum BF-30, but I did a lot of research previously on both mills and lathes in your budget range. I can recommend the 1340GT, but not the BF-30 at its current price. If you're looking at Grizzly machines, I would recommend their G0720R Mill and G4003G lathe. The G0720R is a Sieg SX4 (at 3.5K), there is a nice review here http://www.mini-lathe.com/Mini_mill/Reviews/SX4/sx4-rvw.htm , add the base or build your own and save a few$$. I would consider the G0720R a step up from the generic RF45 type mills, the variable speed is really nice and not having to deal with the gear head is a real plus. The Z axis power feed is great, I added one to my mill. Consider including the X-axis power feed if you're not going CNC, once you use one you will never go back. The G4003G is probably the quintessential 12x36 gunsmith lathe, and comes with many costly accessories in the gunsmith version. At 3.5K delivered, it will save you well over 2K for a comparable Taiwanese version (Eissen 12x36 or PM1340GT).[/FONT][FONT=&amp] There are many branded versions of this mill, but Grizzly offers a very nice package and the stability of a well known company.

Consider an Easson ES-12 DRO ($600-700) for the mill, and if needed an Easson 8A ($500) for the lathe. The cost difference between and Easson and a generic Sino is small in comparison the quality/warranty and usability. Consider Grizzly for your additional items or a vendor like Shar's if you want decent quality and pricing. You will get the basics, but nothing fancy, otherwise look at flea markets, auctions....

Save 5% on your Grizzly order if you are a first time buyer. Usually if you request a hard copy catalog, there is a printed number on the back for this discount, pays for the shipping[/FONT]. Get the basic tooling, and add on a later date as the budget and experience permits.

The only issue I see with the G0722 is the cost. For $300.00 more I can get the G0695 and that stretches my budget even thinner. I would probably choose not to put a dro on one or both machines if I go this route. I have actually like the G0722 a lot minus the slow spinal speeds. What about the G0762? It is new this year and has a variable speed motor setup on it. It also has a power feed on the x axis. I can build a stand or buy grizzly's so that isn't an issue either way. I would actually build one since I am 6'5" tall.

Back