Need Some Help With Newly Acquired Atlas Lathe

This sounds like a very difficult endeavor. I can see some big money being potentially wasted while trying to acquire a MOLO that actually corresponds to my lathe.

Is there any (better) potential of getting a MOLO from Clausing, even if one has to pay for a hard copy from them? I really don't care whether or not it is an original. Reproduction is fine with me.

Anthony,

Time, yes or at least maybe (you may get lucky quickly). But if you end up with two or three wrong editions, it's probably your fault. You don't either bid or buy unless the seller properly answers all of your questions.

Clausing currently sells the 33rd edition. For whatever reason, neither they nor Atlas ever sold earlier versions. Ozark Woodworker sells good quality reprints of each of the major versions. But their prices are at the high end of the usual price range for originals. You are correct that it is easy to tie up a fair chunk of change. When I was doing the research from which I wrote the version history and crib sheet, I bought about 20 volumes. Early on before I learned what questions to ask and what versions there had been, I ended up with multiple copies of a couple of versions. And now I know that there is one earlier version that no copies of have yet surfaced. Just wish that I knew what color the covers was.

And for the benefit of anyone needing a MOLO who hasn't read the entire thread, the version numbers are my own creation. They will mean nothing to Sellers.

Apparently (although the seller wasn't smart enough to add that information to his ad), the spiral-bound reprint with the black covers sold by Kerrymark is a copy of 37V4.

Apparently (although the seller wasn't smart enough to add that information to his ad), the spiral-bound reprint with the black covers sold by Kerrymark is a copy of 37V4.

Robert,

I examined the MOLO History Revision Document and compared that to the advertisement on eBay and could not figure out what version was being offered. What tipped you off to the 37v4?

Any idea what an original MOLO is worth?

Robert,

I examined the MOLO History Revision Document and compared that to the advertisement on eBay and could not figure out what version was being offered. What tipped you off to the 37v4?
Erik,

They don't seem to show up today but yesterday when I looked at the ad (probably through some eBay glitch), a lot of questions and answers showed up down near the bottom. I think what was showing up were all recent questions the seller had been asked, because only two of them applied to the MOLO. But his answer to one of them was that on the first page of Part 7 - Threading it mentioned the Atlas F-Series Ten Inch. Of course it might also be a scan of the 37V2/3 plus a scan of the 10F Threading supplement.

Any idea what an original MOLO is worth?

Jim,

Typical prices over the past 18 months or so have been $25 to $40 plus shipping. I bought quite a few versions. The least that I paid was $12.81 and the most near $50. But if I hadn't been in a hurry to get all of the key editions so that I could finish writing the Molo Content History, I wouldn't have paid that much.

Hello everyone. Nice to be part of your group. I just bought my first home lathe, an Atlas, and am trying to find out some info on it. The deal was right. Here's what I do know. It is a 10" with a 42" bed and it has Timken bearings in the headstock. I don't know the model number or serial number. There is no plate on the end of the lathe. There is a LIGHTLY stamped number on the right front way: TV9603S. When I Google TV9603S I get no relevant results, so I don't know what this number is. I've been over the rest of it and cannot find any other relevant numbers, only some casting and/or specific part numbers and such. There's a raised "942" number on the inside of the bed casting between two ribs and a stamped "C" between two other ribs. I'd like to find out the tailstock spindle taper (which I believe may be a 2MT) and the headstock taper (possibly a 3MT) to get started so I can get some needed tooling for it. Also, I'd like to know what type of oil to use in the oilers for the bearings. I need to get a drill chuck w/ arbor for the tailstock and would like to get a set of collets (suggestions on best type appreciated) with closer. It came with a 3-jaw chuck, 2 four-jaw chucks, a face plate, numerous dogs, a complete set of change gears. It has the lantern style tool holder with a couple holders. I'd like to get a QC tool holder for it. I'd also like to get a steady rest for it someday, too. I think this is enough to start. Help identifying this lathe would be greatly appreciated. If any other info is needed, just ask. Thanks for any help.

View attachment 106636 View attachment 106637 View attachment 106638 View attachment 106639 View attachment 106640 View attachment 106641 View attachment 106642
i had the 12 inch version of this lathe some time ago. it served me well. there is a lot of info out there on atlas lathes. there are companies still supplying parts for them, check home shop machinist mag. vintage machinery.org has a pdf parts list on this. my lathe was 3mt in the headstock and 2mt in the tailstock. looks like you have a good inventory of change gears. the most popular is the 96 tooth and this was usually the first to break. charts for speeds and feeds and threading should be on the inside of the back cover. unless you have a very specific need for a collet chuck i would purchase a qc toolpost first, once you use one you will never go back. check out cdco machinery. collets in this machine wont be much more accurate than a good three jaw and not as accurate as a four jaw chuck. a steady rest is handy on a lathe of this size as you only have a 3/4 hole in the spindle. atlas published a great operators manual for this lathe. you used to be able to get from sears as well as repair parts. i'm sure with a little research you could probably find a copy. this should be a good little machine to learn on . check out all the machinists videos on utube. there is a lot of good info and these guys are always willing to answer your questions. best of luck.

Larry,

Minor point but Anthony's machine is a TV42, which is a 10F. It doesn't use a 96T gear. Only up to 64T. The 10D and back did use the 96T. And the first 6 Craftsman models did. So your 12" must have been one of those.

Also, Clausing (used to be Atlas) still sells some new parts for the Atlas built lathes and are usually cheaper than Sears (at least if they stock the part). Clausing still sells copies of the Atls Manual of Lathe Operation. But it is the 33rd edition copyright 1988. Almost all of the tables are still the same but any machine specific drawings or photos will cover the final 12" version.

Fortunately, used copies of the early version that best match the TV42 are available pretty often on eBay, and for around the same price as Atlas currently charges. There is a sticky post at the top of this forum that partially addresses this and there are two .DOC files in Downloads with more details.

Back