Need Some Input...

reds

Active User
Registered
I have a Monarch Model 14AA. I have owned it for about 14 years or so... About 5 years ago I bought some tools from a going out of business sale.. In a large box was an 8" Cushman 4 jaw chuck in pretty good shape. The problem was to mount it on my lathe I needed a D1-3 backing plate. At the time a plate was a couple hundred bucks that I didn't want to spend, So on the shelf it went.

This morning I found a bucket of jaws that came with my lathe. In the bucket was a set of jaws (Cushman Brand) that looks like they will hold about 10 inch diameter object. (must have been special made by Cushman).

Here is what I'm thinking. Change to the big jaws and mount the 4 jaw chuck. Thus eliminating a backing plate. The 8" chuck weighs 31 pounds. Is this to much weight and length over the ways without support?Jaws2.jpg

I have a Monarch Model 14AA. I have owned it for about 14 years or so... About 5 years ago I bought some tools from a going out of business sale.. In a large box was an 8" Cushman 4 jaw chuck in pretty good shape. The problem was to mount it on my lathe I needed a D1-3 backing plate. At the time a plate was a couple hundred bucks that I didn't want to spend, So on the shelf it went.

This morning I found a bucket of jaws that came with my lathe. In the bucket was a set of jaws (Cushman Brand) that looks like they will hold about 10 inch diameter object. (must have been special made by Cushman).

Here is what I'm thinking. Change to the big jaws and mount the 4 jaw chuck. Thus eliminating a backing plate. The 8" chuck weighs 31 pounds. Is this to much weight and length over the ways without support?View attachment 344705
A D1-3 on a 14AA? Are you sure about that size? That's what I have on my 1440.
I thought the 14AA was a large lathe. I thought it is like a 16"+ lathe.

My lathe has a D1-6 camlock backing plate. To mount the 8" chuck, I would have to install a D1-3 camlock backing plate....

I have a brand new D1-3 backing plate that I'll give you if you'll pay for the freight. It came on a new-open-box Pratt Burnerd 6" 4-jaw that I bought recently. I replaced it with a D1-4. By all appearances, it's never even been put on a lathe. Here are a couple of photos that show the original backing plate and the D1-4 I replaced it with. (This is a high-end Pratt chuck, Made in England.) If you're interested, send me a PM.

Regards,
Terry

IMG_1088.jpg IMG_1089.jpgIMG_1091.jpgIMG_1105.jpg

My lathe has a D1-6 camlock backing plate. To mount the 8" chuck, I would have to install a D1-3 camlock backing plate....

Not sure but I *think* you're saying your lathe spindle is D1-6. If that is correct, a D1-3 backing plate will not fit your lathe. The -3 or -6 is not the number of pins.

Spindle Specs

If I have completely mis-understood your posting then please forgive the intrusion..

-MK

I have a brand new D1-3 backing plate that I'll give you if you'll pay for the freight. It came on a new-open-box Pratt Burnerd 6" 4-jaw that I bought recently. I replaced it with a D1-4. By all appearances, it's never even been put on a lathe. Here are a couple of photos that show the original backing plate and the D1-4 I replaced it with. (This is a high-end Pratt chuck, Made in England.) If you're interested, send me a PM.

Regards,
Terry

View attachment 344748 View attachment 344749View attachment 344750View attachment 344751
tjb I sent you a chat message....

Can you post some picts of your spindle mount? A D1-3 is a lot smaller than a D1-6.
Is it one of the '30's models or newer?

Last edited:
Back