Need Some Opinions On Value Of Mill

There is more to it than that . the room you have, how much money you might have , your life style , and perhaps what the little woman might let you devote to your hobby. Just my two cents again.

Anything, a machine, hunting equipment, a car, or a house is only worth what the Buyer is willing to pay. Before I bought my Van Norman I answered several Craigslist ads and in a nice way I told the seller that "to me the mill is only worth this much". Several months after I got my VN I received 2 calls from sellers asking if I still wanted their mill. One was a Bridgeport and the other was an Wells Index.
Don't worry about what you paid, be happy that you have a pretty good mill and know that it works. Go ahead and start making chips, have fun and be safe.

There is more to it than that . the room you have, how much money you might have , your life style , and perhaps what the little woman might let you devote to your hobby. Just my two cents again.

Your absolutely right! Given a choice between a large ridged machine and a Bridgeport style machine, and being only limited to one I'd go for the Bridgeport. Versatility is the key in my book. Big machines can run big tooling, big tooling is more expensive. A fixed head machine like a KT requires more fixtures and creativity to do unusual other than square perpendicular cuts. I've hung large items of the side of the BP and rotated the turret to accomplish some repairs. Cant think of a way to do that with the vertical KT. A horizontal mill would accomplish the job, but now your talking another machine. At this time can't think of a job that I've done on the KT that I could not have accomplished on the BP, just would have taken a lot more time on some of them. A plunge cut with a 3 in shell end mill through a 2 in hole comes to mind. The BP could not do that, but the hole could have been bored with a boring bar, just would take longer. Tim

I've done some big pieces on a large KT but I could never have the room in my home shop. Enjoy.

Back