need some sort of strain relief for wiring a motor

Looking at the photo, it looks like a RPitA. On the right side, there may be a hole of some 7/8' diameter for a "tommy" clamp. Maybe even threaded, if you're lucky. (1/2 IPT) If it isn't there, might I suggest a large, thin wall piece of angle. One side to fasten to a screw hole, the other side punched for 1/2 pipe and a "tommy" connector. Lacking that, I would have to agree with LatinRascal... about the zip ties.

Here's my solution:
IMG_20190501_125148148.jpg
I got a box at Fry's Electronics that was nicer than the household ones at the home improvement stores. It has a cover; I left it off for the pictures. I also got a long length of heat shrink tubing. I then got some colored wire and wire clamps at Home Depot. The power cord comes in from the right. The wires for the switch go out the left to the headstock. The wires on the top go to the motor. I may re-do the motor wires with some heat shrink so everything looks the same and nice and tidy.

The box is attached to the motor bracket with a screw and plate. I didn't drill any holes on the motor bracket; there's a hole in it already.

I went to a local motor shop and they didn't have a cover. We tried about 10 different ones. I was going to make one, but came up with the solution shown.

I looked into right angle connectors, but once I came up with this, I didn't think I'd need them anymore. Also, the orientation and location of the tabs is such that the wires would still have to bend a bit tight to get out if I put a cover on this.

Back