Need someone to recommend a VFD for a Clausing 5914 w/ 220V 3 phase motor

9t8z28

Registered
Registered
I need a VFD that will convert 220v single phase to 3 phase for my newly acquired Causing 5914 lathe with a 2HP 3 phase 220V motor while maintaining the functioning variable speed reeves drive. I would also like for the VFD to have the ability to be used in place of the Reeve's Drive and control the speed and braking if in the future the Reeve's Drive fails. I am aware that there will be other mechanical and electrical parts I will need to buy if I go down that road but for now I just need the VFD and any other electronics or switches to get the motor running at the recommended 1,800RPM.
I know nothing about VFD's and any other parrts I would need. I would like it if someone could tell me what would be the best VFD to buy that will do all that I am asking for it to do. I will work on learning how to wiring and set it up after I acquire it with the help of an electrician.
Can anyone recommend a model and where to buy one that will support 2HP, single phase to 3ph, variable speed and braking? If more info on the motor specs or anything else is required please let me know.
The motor plate specs are as follows.
TYPE: A000
FRAME: AVO-184
PH: 3 phase
Cycle: 60
INS SYS: A
CODE: K
HP: 2HP
RPM: 1800
VOLTS: 220
AMPS: 6

There is a wide range of VFD's, the Hitachi WJ200 is probably the most widely used in this forum and there is a lot of information on use/programming them in this forum. The Automation Direct GS20 is a new model, they work quite well and the manuals are a bit easier to follow. Both Automation Direct and Wolf Automation have good tech support and reputations. The VFD is directly wired to the motor and you control the run commands through low voltage inputs which are programmable. I would recommend adding an external braking resistor, something in the 50-75 ohms, 300-500W. I typically get these through Mouser Electronics under power resistors, I recommend the encased sealed type. There is some suggestions for the VFD enclosure in the attached document, you can search the part numbers if the links do not work. If you need some help on the programming or questions you can PM me or any other folks in this forum that have done the installs.

GS21-22P0 DURApulse GS20 series AC general purpose drive, enclosed, 230 VAC, 2hp with 1-phase input, SVC, V/Hz, FOC or torque mode

Hitachi WJ200-015SF FD, 2hp, 200V, Single Phase,Sensorless Vector, IP20, High Starting Torque

Lots of previous posts you can review:

Attachments

• VFD enclosure system recommended components for 2-3 Hp VFD 12-22-2019.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 9
There is a wide range of VFD's, the Hitachi WJ200 is probably the most widely used in this forum and there is a lot of information on use/programming them in this forum. The Automation Direct GS20 is a new model, they work quite well and the manuals are a bit easier to follow. Both Automation Direct and Wolf Automation have good tech support and reputations. The VFD is directly wired to the motor and you control the run commands through low voltage inputs which are programmable. I would recommend adding an external braking resistor, something in the 50-75 ohms, 300-500W. I typically get these through Mouser Electronics under power resistors, I recommend the encased sealed type. There is some suggestions for the VFD enclosure in the attached document, you can search the part numbers if the links do not work. If you need some help on the programming or questions you can PM me or any other folks in this forum that have done the installs.

GS21-22P0 DURApulse GS20 series AC general purpose drive, enclosed, 230 VAC, 2hp with 1-phase input, SVC, V/Hz, FOC or torque mode

Hitachi WJ200-015SF FD, 2hp, 200V, Single Phase,Sensorless Vector, IP20, High Starting Torque

Lots of previous posts you can review:
Thanks for the great info and offering to help. All that wiring and components is intimidating! Would I need an external braking resistor if I am using the Reeve's Drive since it already has a brake?

I was looking for a spanner wrench on Ebay and the seller just so happens to have a 5914 and he recommended this Automation VFD which was on his lathe. It appears to already be complete with a controller. Its a 3HP model. Is that gonna be to much for my motor?

You would not need a braking resistor if it has a mechanical brake, wasn't aware of a brake on this model nor saw mention of it in the manual, there is a clutch system. I would buy a new VFD, if you go that route, skip eBay and Amazon. If you use a VFD you cannot use the reversing switch, the VFD needs to be directly wired to the motor and you need to activate either the for or rev inputs to turn on the motor. If you want to keep the lathe intact and want to go plug and play, I would recommend going with a 5 HP RPC. It will be the simplest approach, you can by an RPC box and add a motor and save some change, 3 phase motors are very common and inexpensive used/new. I usually recommend a 4P 1750 RPM. Also check Craigslist.

You would not need a braking resistor if it has a mechanical brake, wasn't aware of a brake on this model nor saw mention of it in the manual, there is a clutch system. I would buy a new VFD, if you go that route, skip eBay and Amazon. If you use a VFD you cannot use the reversing switch, the VFD needs to be directly wired to the motor and you need to activate either the for or rev inputs to turn on the motor. If you want to keep the lathe intact and want to go plug and play, I would recommend going with a 5 HP RPC. It will be the simplest approach, you can by an RPC box and add a motor and save some change, 3 phase motors are very common and inexpensive used/new. I usually recommend a 4P 1750 RPM. Also check Craigslist.
How does the motor or VFD know to stop when a mechanical brake is applied?
From what I have read on 5914's brakes were optional. I also verified it has a brake while testing it under power in direct drive and back gear by pressing the clutch lever down unless I was doing something wrong but I can't see how that would be possible. I do not want to even consider giving up the brake unless the Reeve's system is beyond repair plus I love being able to bump the spindle with the clutch handle. I really thought you could control the VFD by retrofitting the existing switches. I guess I am old school and don't like pushing buttons for forward/reverse and speed control.
If
Thsank you for the help MKSJ. I think I am stuck going with a RFC and if the Reeve's can't be saved then I guess I am out half a grand or so unless there is still something that I am not understanding.

In regard to a 5HP RPC. Do I really need 5HP? Won't 2 or 3HP do? If the extra HP is for if i decided to add more machinery then I really don't think its possible to add any more machinery in my current location.
If I go with a RPC box, is it pretty much all wired up and all I need to do is wire in the motor? I am not really experienced with AC current and I don't think my electrician is familiar with RPC's.

You can program the VFD to coast to a stop, there is typically a program parameter and/or you use a micro switch so when you engage the mechanical brake it activates an input on the VFD to tell it to go into what is called a base block (free run) which essentially disconnects the drive output. So the motor will free run. But what I do not follow is if this is needed, I thought this model has a clutch drive so that would disengage the motor drive and apply the brake but the motor continues to run? Not familiar with the mechanics of this lathe and the manual is a bit sketchy. I would need to know a bit more about what you activate and what it does. On the RPC, you alway need a bigger RPC motor than the motor you are going to run. So for 2-3 Hp you need a 5 Hp RPC. Also you will probably need a 40-50A circuit for the RPC.

You can program the VFD to coast to a stop, there is typically a program parameter and/or you use a micro switch so when you engage the mechanical brake it activates an input on the VFD to tell it to go into what is called a base block (free run) which essentially disconnects the drive output. So the motor will free run. But what I do not follow is if this is needed, I thought this model has a clutch drive so that would disengage the motor drive and apply the brake but the motor continues to run? Not familiar with the mechanics of this lathe and the manual is a bit sketchy. I would need to know a bit more about what you activate and what it does. On the RPC, you alway need a bigger RPC motor than the motor you are going to run. So for 2-3 Hp you need a 5 Hp RPC. Also you will probably need a 40-50A circuit for the RPC.
From what I can tell most are removing the countershaft which is where the clutch is.
Is this 50Amp circuit directly before the RPC or does this circuit go on my service panel?

Also MKSJ, I have found a few on other forums who have used a VFD along with the Reeve's drive. How exactly they did it I cannot explain because most don't go into that detail but the factory variable speed is intact and functioning. If anyone knows how to go about this please chime in with what you know.

As far as I am aware they remove the clutch and the reeves drive and directly use the VFD. Since a VFD looses power below the base speed in a somewhat linear fashion, you need to up size the motor if not using the Reeves drive. If using it the VFD stays at 60 Hz and you use the mechanical drive to vary the speed. The same holds for mills that use the same variable speed drives. So you are primarily using the VFD for 60Hz 3 phase and not much more, but as I mentioned the motor is directly wired to the VFD and you switch the low voltage inputs that are programmable. There are a number of previous posts at this site and others, I would suggest reviewing them to see what others have done. I would also review the Automation Direct GS20 manual to get some of the basics on how VFD's work.

On the RPC I would review the install manual for some of the RPC's, the link below gives an example and the install directions. If there is just a single load, you can probably get by with just having a breaker on the single phase side and can be at you main panel or a sub panel the same as would be needed for a VFD. A 2 Hp VFD can run on a single phase 20A 240VAC circuit but the VFD manufactures usually recommend 30A for both 2 and 3 Hp VFDs. If the VFD is on a dedicated circuited (20 or 30A, fusing is optional in the VFD cabinet but can be omitted. Breakers protect the wiring, fuses are faster acting and can protect equipment.

You can see my article on VFD conversion here:

This method removes the Reeves drive and any mechanical brake. You also cannot use the original reversing switch unless you get creative in rewiring it to control the VFD, which needs to be directly wired to the motor.

Back