Need source for 4” grinding wheels for Sanford Surface Grinder

9t8z28

Registered
Registered
I am looking for a source for 4” diameter surface grinding wheels that are a 1/4” wide with a 1/2” arbor. I searched Norton’s online catalog and I have only been able to find two options in that particular size. Can anyone tell me where they are getting their wheels from? I have been told by a fellow member here that 1/2” wide wheels are too wide for the Sanford SG and SG48 surface grinders

I sold my Sanford with about a dozen new wheels still in the box, all were 1/2" wide. I used one for the sale video, worked fine.

What size pulleys did you have?
What HP was the motor?
What DOC were you able to take on what material?
I sold my Sanford with about a dozen new wheels still in the box, all were 1/2" wide. I used one for the sale video, worked fine.

Wider wheels are better for less wear, better spark out, and less dressing. They are better in almost any way if they will work for the job. With a small grinder, a wider wheel will not be able to grind its way completely off of a wide part, close to the maximum cross feed dimension, and that will be an issue at times on the Sanford. Still, use wide wheels when you can, and narrow ones when and where necessary. You will need wheel adapters to fit whatever wheel widths you have.

It’s not because I want a Narrow wheel, it’s because the horsepower isn’t there. First gen sanfords only had 1/8 HP. I have a 2nd gen with a 1/6 HP. They came with 1/4” wide wheels. No separate wheel adapaters are needed for 1/4” to 1/2” wide wheels. Its basically just 2 collars and 1 is left hand 1/2-20 threaded.
Wider wheels are better for less wear, better spark out, and less dressing. They are better in almost any way if they will work for the job. With a small grinder, a wider wheel will not be able to grind its way completely off of a wide part, close to the maximum cross feed dimension, and that will be an issue at times on the Sanford. Still, use wide wheels when you can, and narrow ones when and where necessary. You will need wheel adapters to fit whatever wheel widths you have.

I made a mistake in my opening post. I need 3/8” wide wheels, not 1/4”. Is there anyway of getting a moderator to fix it?

I was hogging down some CRS at .002"/pass with a 1/2" wheel at a fast clip just to keep the video short. No stalling or burning. Your wheel width doesn't mean much to a surface grinder, it's only cutting with the leading edge the amount you are stepping over with the cross feed. It only slowed a little when I dropped the entire wheel onto the steel at once (because I was in a hurry). It's not my normal practice.

Last edited:
When you mentioned you posted a video I figured it was this video from YouTube. I was going to ask you what size wheels you were using but I figured it was an old video. You’re right, I didn’t think about the wheel cutting on the leading edge.
I’d still like to know if someone knows where to find 4” wheels. It’s amazing how much these Harvey surface grinders bring considering it’s hard to find wheels , belts, small mag chucks, and if you need it, spare parts.
I was hogging down some CRS at .002"/pass with a 1/2" wheel at a fast clip just to keep the video short. No stalling or burning. Your wheel width doesn't mean much to a surface grinder, it's only cutting with the leading edge the amount you are stepping over with the cross feed. It only slowed a little when I dropped the entire wheel onto the steel at once (because I was in a hurry). It's not my normal practice.

Back