Need to borrow a 6mm keyway broach

lesrhorer

Registered
Registered
Does anyone have a 6mm keyway broach with a 19mm sleeve and a couple of shims I can borrow? I need to broach a keyway in an aluminum pulley.

It would be a bit loose but is a fuzz under 1/4 x 5/8.

Hmm. How much of a fuzz? 6mm is only 0.0138 under 1/4", and the keyway needs 0.002" or so clearance.

You can borrow my truck, take my kid fishing, have a drink with my wife.. but borrow a broach, come on dude.:D
This^^^

I'd be more likely to loan out one of my chainsaws, and I NEVER loan my chainsaws. Unfortunately, broaches are so easily broken that it is simply unwise to borrow or lend them. Buy the broach, make the bushing.

Oh, hey, thanks! I looked and looked, and I could not find a 6mm under $60. The one you linked is inexpensive enough. To the rest of your comment, I am unlikely to break the broach, especially in aluminum, but had I borrowed one and broken it, of course I would pay for it. Making the bushing is not a huge deal, of course. I just have to buy the metal. 'Steel, probably.

Edit: Oh, wait. It's $10 shipping, pushing the price to a bit over $24, which is still a bit pricey for a tool I am unlikely ever to use again. What's worse, it may take up to 2 months to get here. That's not good.

Last edited:
Here is how I cut a 6mm keyway in a couple of pullies.

1628093765482.png

Yeah, I'm considering something like that. I can get a piece of 6mm HSS delivered on Friday for under $9. The bit doesn't have to be slotted in a holder. It can be held directly in the tool post. Either way, centering the bit would be a bit fiddly.

Yeah, I'm considering something like that. I can get a piece of 6mm HSS delivered on Friday for under $9. The bit doesn't have to be slotted in a holder. It can be held directly in the tool post. Either way, centering the bit would be a bit fiddly.
Here's how I made a broaching tool. Shaft is the diameter of the bore. Fine thread set-screw behind the bit to push it out after each pass. Held in QCTP tool holder and fed with the carriage. It was a tough go in steel, but got the job done.

20210808_141415[1].jpg

'Very clever. This is aluminum, so the cut should be pretty easy. If this was held in the QCTP, why is the tail of the tool threaded? Also, why is the nose of the tool turned down?

Back