Need to disassemble my QCTP

FLguy

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
OK, it needs to come apart so I can drill 6 or 8 holes in the part that normally has the handle threaded into so I can use a pin type spanner as some parts of items that get clamped has the handle in the way. This happens often. So.... why can't I unscrew the pc. holding it all together? I figured permanent lock tight was used because using a copper bar and hammer I could not unscrew it, so.... the torch came out and heat applied only to the threaded portion of the assembly that holds every thing together, no luck.
Suggestions please.

Have you tried soaking with penetrating oil? I've had good results with Kroil, but of course there are other choices. Some folks favor a 50:50 mix of acetone and ATF.

Could it be left hand threads? Other wise heat and penetrate oil , then repeat till it comes out. Ive left thing soak for days at times but they usually let go eventually. Or I drill the bugger out and remake the part. Dont ya just hate when stuff dont work right.

Make sure you are using the QCTP as it was intended to be used. The dovetailed faces should face away from the operator, toward the back splash, and to the left, toward the spindle. In that position, the handle should tighten down on the tool holder at about 4:30 clock position if 12:00 is at the back of the lathe in line with the cross slide. In that position it is not normally in the way.

Make sure you are using the QCTP as it was intended to be used. The dovetailed faces should face away from the operator, toward the back splash, and to the left, toward the spindle. In that position, the handle should tighten down on the tool holder at about 4:30 clock position if 12:00 is at the back of the lathe in line with the cross slide. In that position it is not normally in the way.
Thanks Bob. I know what you say is true but I do some really crazy projects for the gov. and medical tool guys that defies common practice requirements. My stuff usually is way out there.

Update: 1st. off it has a left hand thread, yes I tried each way; 2days QCTP in Kroil, then more hammering, no go, 2nd. time of torching it, no go; finally I set it on the anvil and with a 1.125 dia. bar on top of the pc. that unscrews I smacked it 4 times then tried unscrewing it, success!! So the moral to this story is never give up and try and try and try.

Update: 1st. off it has a left hand thread, yes I tried each way; 2days QCTP in Kroil, then more hammering, no go, 2nd. time of torching it, no go; finally I set it on the anvil and with a 1.125 dia. bar on top of the pc. that unscrews I smacked it 4 times then tried unscrewing it, success!! So the moral to this story is never give up and try and try and try.

Could you elaborate on the brand of toolpost and model number please. I'm glad you got it apart. Also, what's a pc? Thanks.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what QCTP you have but if you happen to have a Dorian SQCTP you can adjust the locking handle position in 15° increments. It's designed that way for the very same reason you mentioned, for clearance when needed.

I haven't tried repositioning my handle yet though. It's in the "normal" position & is fine for what I do.

If you don't have a Dorian SQCTP, I've heard that Aloris style QCTPs, depending on the manufacturer, have 2 or 3 start threads for the worm. Starting on a different lead will clock the handle in a different position but it is limited to only 2 or 3 positions. If true, perhaps give it a try & see if it works for you, might get lucky & not need to bother modifying your tool post.

My QCTP is a chinese clone and if my handle gets in the way I just add a couple of thick washers under the nut then I can set it where ever I want.

Back