Need to disassemble my QCTP

My QCTP is a chinese clone and if my handle gets in the way I just add a couple of thick washers under the nut then I can set it where ever I want.

Well that's simple! Could you elaborate on how that works? I'm really curious, & I can't picture why that works.

I no longer have a China tool post but on my current tool post, changing the thickness of the washer under the nut or even removing it does not change the position of where my handle locks.

It's been a while but on my China tool post I remember changing the washer that came with it for a thicker washer, I don't recall the handle position moving but I could be wrong. If it did move I didn't notice it.

If you look at the fourth picture down the washers are placed between the top bare steel nut with the handle and the black release.
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/plinth-for-qctp-on-9-x-20-lathe.45628/
I rarely need to use the washer as I set up the post so the nut was tight then marked where to drill for the handle.
If you mean setting the release handle in another position then I can only think of adding a shim to the dovetail so it tightens earlier.
Same for a piston type (never seen one) Maybe a shim could be added infront of the piston.

Thanks, I see, we are talking about different things. I was referring to the lock handle for the tool holder.

thought I would check the shim idea to re-position the handle,
This is the normal locked position
qctp-shim-1.jpg

This is with one shim between the holder and the dovetail
qctp-shim-2.jpg

This is with 2 shims.
qctp-shim-3.jpg
It works so I will keep this in mind if I ever have a problem with the handle getting in the way.

Back