Need to find a square seal / silicone or ....

mikey: This is a Krups XP5280 that's no longer in production and the spare parts market has mostly been depleted. As I recall, the seal comes as part of the valve assembly - at least from my normal supplier. Some have a "brew head element gasket" which is sometimes a stiff shoulder washer. But these are as I've described.
whitmore: Thanks. That's a great link! It appears they don't have anything similar.
tghsmith: Thanks. That's also a great link! I'm investigating but so far haven't found their quad rings/seals.
Cadillac: Thanks. That's also a great link! They call them "square profile O-rings".
Just what I was looking for - good links!! Now if I can just find the ring...
I'm fairly sure if I go to the coffee machine parts suppliers that they are pass-through distributors and won't have these older Krups parts. That's why I'm looking for generic parts by dimension and material. The "X" rings look interesting but I've not found the dimensions I need yet.

a picture of the old one or the part it is sealing next to a ruler would help alot----I have some seals that are square but round like an 'O' ring---Dave

Dave Smith: OK here are pictures:

Attachments

• 1 ID of Filter Basket mates with OD of seal.JPG
    1 ID of Filter Basket mates with OD of seal.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 2 Valve Assembly without Seal Installed.jpg
    2 Valve Assembly without Seal Installed.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 3 Seal on Valve Assembly.JPG
    3 Seal on Valve Assembly.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 4 Seat for Seal on Valve Assembly is 5mm high.JPG
    4 Seat for Seal on Valve Assembly is 5mm high.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 13
  • 5 OD of Valve Assembly Seat.JPG
    5 OD of Valve Assembly Seat.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 6 Inner Valve Assembly Seat mates with ID of seal.JPG
    6 Inner Valve Assembly Seat mates with ID of seal.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 7 Seal 5mm wide.JPG
    7 Seal 5mm wide.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 8 Seal 55mm OD.JPG
    8 Seal 55mm OD.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 9 Seal 45mm ID.JPG
    9 Seal 45mm ID.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 10 Seal is 5mm High.JPG
    10 Seal is 5mm High.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 11 Seal View.JPG
    11 Seal View.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 12 Sealed Valve Assembly barely inserted in mating Basket Body.JPG
    12 Sealed Valve Assembly barely inserted in mating Basket Body.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 13 Seal in Valve Assembly Fully Inserted into Basket Body.JPG
    13 Seal in Valve Assembly Fully Inserted into Basket Body.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 9
thanks for the pictures--I am still trying to find my big bag of seals that are square to see if the size I have would fit--I know they don't look just like yours but if they are the right size they may work ---mine are quad ring seals---I just hate being so unorganized after my move 10 years ago---still have to search for most everything. Dave

Last edited:
Man....I have an older Krups at work...used it the 1st year and it sat for 15 after that. My machine doesn't look like that, but I wonder if the portafilter seal is the same. I'll get back to my office Tuesday and I'll take a look.

Ohhhh. That is not a quad seal. Like they say, a picture is worth a 1000 words. Looks like a proprietary part.

Hopefully Dave or Guns can help you out.
As a side note, I recently did a project (for my part time engineering job) that required a deep dive into quad seals. You will find that seals are pretty much standard sizes and if the dimensions needed is outlying of standard, then a molded part is one of the viable solutions, although not for a one off part like what you are looking for.
If you want to know everything there is to know (sort of) about seals, download the Parker O'ring book and have a look. Follow This link to Parker and scroll almost to the bottom where the PDF selections are. It will be listed as "O'ring handbook PTD-5705"

Back