Need to get Rivett bench lathe from Swampscott MA to Prescott Valley AZ

cazclocker

Purveyor of cheese.
Registered
Can anyone help me figure out a way to get a beautiful vintage precision lathe from Swampscott MA to Prescott Valley AZ. My mapping software tells me that it's a 2,657 mile trip! I want this lathe (it's not mine yet...I'm trying to decide if it's even feasible) so bad I'm even considering flying out there and renting a truck back. Many problems with that scenario, though. Main problem is I get exhausted after driving only 3 hours or so... and my wife won't go with me. Maybe a buddy....if I buy him enough beer...

Is there some company that KNOWS how to be careful with museum pieces like the lathe I want to buy, and drive it to Arizona? Or maybe deliver it to some halfway point like in Missouri, and I'll rent a truck for the rest of the trip?

Ideas please! The seller wants to sell, I'm his first interested party, I have the $$$ to spend on the lathe, and I don't want to let this slip through my fingers...HELP PLEASE!

Thanks,
Doug Haeussler
Prescott Valley, AZ

I have a Cromwell S8 MK3 lathe and know how you feel about it. Which Rivett, does it have a bench? Maybe the seller would crate it with lots of padding in a wide base crate, stick lots of fragile and this side up stickers on it, and ship it off. Then you could sweat for a week or two until it arrives. I don't think your driving idea is all that crazy but at 3 hours endurance you might need a partner (but better in summer) - they are a beautiful machine.
Michael

Last edited:
Have I been there on this one. My last safarie, was set up a deal and time zone. Find a willing freind, we flew, rented a U-haul van and treated this
as a vacation, stopping here and there at yard sales flea markets and have a good time. I did do research on freight they even have fuel sur charges
red tape and usually the cheapest have their depot so far you still have to get a rental truck for pick up, so thats out. that worked out ok.

Thanks guys. The seller has told me that I'm the first person to show interest in it, and he doesn't want to bother with any of the work involved to crate and pack it. Basically, he's just hoping for a local sale. So I was hoping I could find a way to get someone to crate & pack for him, and truck it out here to Arizona. But cripes, if I hired someone, how do I know exactly how they'll treat it? By the way, the lathe is a Rivett 8" Precision, the predecessor to the 608. And yes, it comes with a bench. It seems to be a genuine museum piece. The lathe is serial number 20. I am led to believe that the production number of the 8" Precision is unknown.

After a night to "sleep on it", I think the most realistic option is to fly out there, rent a small truck or van and drive back with a friend. But unfortunately there are so many problems with that too, most of them centered around health concerns that act as a boat anchor on my life. The "safari adventure" idea sounds fun, though.

Dang it, no wonder so many Rivett machinery ends up staying in the eastern half of the United States! I'm not done yet, guys. I may go get this thing even if it kills me.

Here's a photo of the Rivett 8" Precision #20:
P1050458.JPG

P1050458.JPG

Thanks guys. The seller has told me that I'm the first person to show interest in it, and he doesn't want to bother with any of the work involved to crate and pack it. Basically, he's just hoping for a local sale. So I was hoping I could find a way to get someone to crate & pack for him, and truck it out here to Arizona. But cripes, if I hired someone, how do I know exactly how they'll treat it? By the way, the lathe is a Rivett 8" Precision, the predecessor to the 608. And yes, it comes with a bench. It seems to be a genuine museum piece. The lathe is serial number 20. I am led to believe that the production number of the 8" Precision is unknown.

After a night to "sleep on it", I think the most realistic option is to fly out there, rent a small truck or van and drive back with a friend. But unfortunately there are so many problems with that too, most of them centered around health concerns that act as a boat anchor on my life. The "safari adventure" idea sounds fun, though.

Dang it, no wonder so many Rivett machinery ends up staying in the eastern half of the United States! I'm not done yet, guys. I may go get this thing even if it kills me.

Here's a photo of the Rivett 8" Precision #20:
View attachment 69234
Sorry,too old(78),or I would bring my van at cost for such an adventure. That lathe a thing of sublime beauty,and I hope someone
else thinks. It is important enough to help....BLJHB. sorry for sloppy type- cat on lap.

You coud post a rucker request on OWWM.org. Members there often move machinery for each other.

If I lived closer to either end of the trip I would help you. Even if I lived in Mass. I would crate it for you.
Sorry I can't help,
Michael

If I lived closer to either end of the trip I would help you. Even if I lived in Mass. I would crate it for you.
Sorry I can't help,
Michael

Thank you, Michael. You are most kind. Unfortunately the whole deal fell through.
...Doug

If the deal pick back up i can help get it to ohio at least.
Might also be driving a small car to california in the summer, might be able to cram it into the car if the deal wors back up.

Back