Need To Know More About This Lathe

Location does indeed play a part in the price of a machine but $6k is way too much for a 9" South Bend, even in a machinery desert. You could buy a comparable used lathe from the rustbelt for less than a grand and have it shipped to you for a few hundred.

Welcome to the site!

I'd drop one zero from that $6k price tag, then it would be about right......depending on condition.

It does have some pluses:
-it looks in fairly good shape and complete (reversing switch, two-lever quick change gearing, all hand-wheels present)
-it has a collet closer
-it appears to have a taper attachment
-it has a tailstock drill chuck
-it has the threading dial
-it has the full set of recommended lubricants

I'd ask does it also come with:
-3 and 4-jaw chucks
-a faceplate
-live and dead centres
-how many collets?

I do not recognize that tool post either.......

-brino

EDIT: one of the tags should have a model number, and the serial number will be stamped on the front right ways, right on the top surface. With those we could dig up an age and possibly some catalogs. There is good SouthBend book here:
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/resources/sb-how-to-run-a-lathe-1966-27th-edition-56-pdf.2909/

Last edited:
Ok so I took a picture of the brass label on the machine. Hopefully you can make it out.

IMG_1784.JPG

Yep, it's definitely a South Bend lathe. In fact, second look at the first picture, that's a heavy 10 or 10L. But, I'm wondering if that is a 1-7/8" threaded spindle for 11/16 collet capacity or if it's actually a 2-1/4" threaded spindle for 1" collet capacity?

Is that catalog number "CL187ZB" ?
......and bed length 3-1/2 '?

I'll see if I can find it in a catalog.

-brino

okay I found something in a 1967 Southbend catalog.
I uploaded it here:
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/resources/south-bend-machine-tools-1967-catalog-6801.3145/

See catalog page 13 or PDF page 15 (of 53). It shows:

upload_2016-12-22_9-50-56.png

Note however that Southbend did use these catalog numbers for a number of years.
The serial number is the best way to get an accurate date.

The trailing "B" in the number means it originally shipped with the "bench" or floor cabinet.

-brino

Theirs 2 monarch's on eBay one for 1800.00 one for 2200.00 . Their in tipp city Ohio which is north of Dayton.
Thanks ron

Back