Need to make a new chuck key.. what material?

300 series isn't heat treatable . If you have 400 series , use it if you want a shiny wrench . I may have some 1/2" tool steel down the basement , I'll check .

wow, just checked online metals, they have been off the charts on shipping prices. I told them go F themselves on my last attempted order. I showed them a competitor was super cheap compared to them, they were 3 times higher in shipping. it amounted to a lot.

Well, I just checked them, and they are doing 7.99 shipping under 3ft under 50lbs. I would say that's a big improvement.
online_metals_shipping.jpg

it's amazing how supplier can flip on you. Online has been ridiculous, and metal supermarkets about 40 min away has been better priced. Stock Car Steel has been the best.. well metal supermarkets is asking 35.57 for .5 Stainless 440c and Online metals is 14.11

edit: Let me correct this, the company charging excessive amounts is Speedy metals, I just put together an order to test the companies, and their shipping is in the stratosphere. For the same UPS ground shipping, it's un-affordable from Speedy Metals.

Last edited:
Titanium ? :grin: One expensive chuck wrench for sure .

1018 would it be strong enough?

4140 or 4130 already showed a limit.. but again could have been my heat treat since the shorter version hasn't twisted.
Buy 4140 heat treated, it is machinable easily, but much stronger than 4140 annealed, I have made several chuck wrenches out of it

That's a fair question, I could be clearer I suppose. I'm saying your chuck scroll is weaker than your chuck key. And way more valuable.

Back