Need to order some turcite

Somewhere under the snow I have several cast iron candidates for being a straight edge. I did find a disc from
a disc brake under the lathe so sawed that up with the band saw. After some milling and drilling, it was taking
shape. I need to drill several more holes and press in some pins for this to be dependable I think. That's for
later today maybe if I can come up with the pins and reamers of the appropriate size. I put some Prussian blue
on the surface plate and rolled it out. This looks promising so hoping that turns out to be the case. P1030846.JPG The bigger one is almost 8 inches long and made from two sections of brake disc sandwiched together. The little one is made
from one piece.

There is a little void in the middle of the bigger piece but I didn't figure that would have any effect on the usage
of it. I could have machined the pieces thinner but decided not to.

I'm not sure I am willing to spend a lot of money on a rough casting so decided to work with the what have you in the shop
for now. Cast iron is some easy machining stuff but pretty messy with fine dust created with light cuts.

It was a fun morning in the shop on a cold morning and nothing better to do. Have a good day!
P1030847.JPG

Yes, somewhere in the shop is a piece of brake disc milled at a 45. I will have to scrounge a bit to find it though.

Back