Need To Purchase A 9/16" -3c Collet.

You could get a machinable collet and make it 9/16”. Or, make the whole collet, nice little HM project…Dave.
Hi & thanks for your reply.
I have thought of that but to date have not come upon a source for machinable collets.
Another thought would be to purchase a used 1/2" and grind it out to 9?16" ID in my lathe. This would be slow but perhaps better as the steel would be hardened. Perhaps I should try looking for one.

Again, thank you for your reply.

Karl Schmitt of Hillsboro, MO

Hi and thanks for a possible source, which I will give a try.

Hi and thanks for your reply. The collet listed on e-bay is for a model 3A (BD Grinder) which will sharpen much larger drills. The big difference is the body diameter (much larger) which is why I need a 3C. Best suggestion to date is a 3C emergency collet and this I am now persueing. With a 3C -9/16" collet I can use the so called "P- bushing in my smaller 2B sharpener which simply increases my choices.

As an aside for general reading, Black Diamond made several different size machines, each set up for different size drill bits. I have two, a 2B and a 3A with which I can sharpen most any drill from 1/16" thru 3/4" diameter. I also had one set up for number drills, (as does Cactus Farmer) but for my needs unecessary, so I passed it on to a young chap.

These Black Diamond drill grinders are excellent older machines, but you do need to "fiddle" with them.

Again, thank you, Karl Schmitt

Hi all, I am rebuilding one of my Black Diamond Drill Grinders for which I need a new or used 9/16" (ID) - 3C collet. The function of this collet is to "hold & clamp" the smaller collets for the different size drills which one sharpens.

The one I have is worn beyond use (the draw thread is kaput) and I know they were made at one time or another. So, a new or used source would be appreciated.

Also, and seperate from this question, I have about 3 pounds of "zinc" ingots and pieces of plate stock which need a "home". The plate stock was a sacrifical anod left over from my sail boat days. Free for the snail mail postage which will probably cost you three bucks or so for a small flat rate box.

E-mails are difficult for me to access at the present time but I can read replys to this post. Also, you can call me if you care to at (636)797-4203.

Thank you, Karl J. Schmitt of Hillsboro, MO

Hi all, project completed! Have since purchased a machineable (emergency) collet from Travers and it is on it's way.
Thank you for your suggestions.

Karl Schmitt

Back