Need Wiring Help - Enco Mill 100-1525

I took the advice above and checked the RPC and house voltage. Across the house power I get 244-249V. The 3rd phase coming off the generator shows 248 - 258V. This is keeping with my wall outlets which show 122V. Seems like the power company in SC is delivering max potential. Would 10-15 V too much current be enough to do damage? (I wouldn't think so)

Two other options for the pulley:
1) get a new pulley
2) take the motor apart (bandsaw if necessary) and cut off the pulley with a healthy length of the old motor shaft. You are probably going to need some shaft extension and coupler for the new motor anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went to the local Pep Boys and borrowed a ball joint kit with five forks. I pointed two forks head to head, wedged between the pulley and motor, butted one handle against my brick stairs, and hammered on the opposite one. Then I took the widest fork, pointed it straight down, and hammered it. That did the trick. After lots of wedging and hammering the pulley came off. It was stubborn to the last 1/2"!

My new replacement motor arrived UPS about 7:15 PM, next day delivery. Two customers called late today wanting to know my schedule for their parts.

HELP! I need to know if 250-255 V is going to fry the new motor, cuz that is apparently what is coming out of the RPC at no load. Coudl that actually have been what fried the first motor?

I have 250v at my house as well. My mill runs off a VFD tho. My lathe I taped the transformer leg for 250v. I have went throw several clothe dryer heating elements which I believe may be from the high voltage.

You should be fine at 255, +/- 10% would allow 264. The loaded voltage out of the RPC is proabaly a bit lower.

Great, thanks for posting! I ran the mill and made some cuts and everything is fine now. So here I go, now I just need to learn how to use it. Thanks to John Morgan for telling me about the FRIENDLY Hobby Machinist forum.

Here's the switch schematic in case anyone ever needs it in the future, I drew it up on Visio. I can only post 600x600 pix so I've included larger shots so it's easier to read.

I just bought an Enco 100-1525 knee mill (c1991) for $1800 plus $250 delivery. It is in great shape. It came with Phoenix Rotary phase converter. I smoked the motor this evening. Please help if you can.

First off, the switch was no good and I rebuilt it without too much trouble. I got the mill running. I drilled some hold down holes in a 1-1/2" aluminum plate to start milling it today, running it on low speed. No problems.

I set it up to start milling, and turned it on to high speed. It ran for a few minutes, then the motor started speeding up. I looked up and a puff of smoke came out of the motor - I snapped off the switch immediately, of course.

On this mill, the wires are labeled (apparently by the manufacturer) such that 5 of the 6 are labeled differently at each end. They go like this, switch end/motor end: 1U/1U; 1V/1W; 1W/1V; 2U/2W; 2V/2U; 2W/2V

When I checked the wiring at the switch against what I had written down before I took things apart to repair the switch, I found that I had swapped two wires at the switch: 2U and 2V. But I don't think that is the problem.

The wire map shows that for Low Speed, power goes to 1U, 1V, 1W and 2U, 2V, 2W are open. For High Speed, it shows 1U-1V-1W tied together, and power to 2U, 2V, 2W. (At the motor, there is a double-side terminal strip, 1 UVW and 2 UVW. All the wires and their markers match at the motor terminal strip.)

But that ain't how things were switching! I disco'd all the wires at the motor and did a continuity check at the switch connectors. This showed another oddity: On Low Speed, power went to 1U, 2V, 1V with the rest open; and on High Speed 1U-2V-1V tied together and 2U 1W 2W had power.

BTW, the motor was turning in the right direction.

It is a simple matter to straighten out the wiring at the switch terminals w/o tearing apart the switch again.

But now I am wondering if it matters which way the wires from the converter to the switch are run to which terminal? Two wires from the single phase go to the converter and also the switch, and a third wire from the converter goes to the switch. Should this third wire be the one that does not switch for directional control? I thought it didn't matter, but now I am wondering.

I checked the motor with a digital ohm meter. On the scale for 200k ohms, it reads within 5-10% of a readout of 0.35 between all motor leads on the #1 side, and again on all leads on the #2 side. I'm hoping the motor isn't destroyed...is there any hope?

Any thoughts or suggestions before I try to power it up again?
Still have this set up? I just picked up a mill and its e phase. Boght a digital phase shift with no luck. Unless i wire it wrong... any wouldbe appreciated. Like pictures of connections.

I just bought an Enco 100-1525 knee mill (c1991) for $1800 plus $250 delivery. It is in great shape. It came with Phoenix Rotary phase converter. I smoked the motor this evening. Please help if you can.

First off, the switch was no good and I rebuilt it without too much trouble. I got the mill running. I drilled some hold down holes in a 1-1/2" aluminum plate to start milling it today, running it on low speed. No problems.

I set it up to start milling, and turned it on to high speed. It ran for a few minutes, then the motor started speeding up. I looked up and a puff of smoke came out of the motor - I snapped off the switch immediately, of course.

On this mill, the wires are labeled (apparently by the manufacturer) such that 5 of the 6 are labeled differently at each end. They go like this, switch end/motor end: 1U/1U; 1V/1W; 1W/1V; 2U/2W; 2V/2U; 2W/2V

When I checked the wiring at the switch against what I had written down before I took things apart to repair the switch, I found that I had swapped two wires at the switch: 2U and 2V. But I don't think that is the problem.

The wire map shows that for Low Speed, power goes to 1U, 1V, 1W and 2U, 2V, 2W are open. For High Speed, it shows 1U-1V-1W tied together, and power to 2U, 2V, 2W. (At the motor, there is a double-side terminal strip, 1 UVW and 2 UVW. All the wires and their markers match at the motor terminal strip.)

But that ain't how things were switching! I disco'd all the wires at the motor and did a continuity check at the switch connectors. This showed another oddity: On Low Speed, power went to 1U, 2V, 1V with the rest open; and on High Speed 1U-2V-1V tied together and 2U 1W 2W had power.

BTW, the motor was turning in the right direction.

It is a simple matter to straighten out the wiring at the switch terminals w/o tearing apart the switch again.

But now I am wondering if it matters which way the wires from the converter to the switch are run to which terminal? Two wires from the single phase go to the converter and also the switch, and a third wire from the converter goes to the switch. Should this third wire be the one that does not switch for directional control? I thought it didn't matter, but now I am wondering.

I checked the motor with a digital ohm meter. On the scale for 200k ohms, it reads within 5-10% of a readout of 0.35 between all motor leads on the #1 side, and again on all leads on the #2 side. I'm hoping the motor isn't destroyed...is there any hope?

Any thoughts or suggestions before I try to power it up again?

Attachments

• 20230908_204705.jpg
    20230908_204705.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230908_204657.jpg
    20230908_204657.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 1
That little box is supposed to generate 3-phase from 1-phase 220v power?
It looks like it could be a static converter which would work, but you would get only 2/3 motor power.
Lots of people use them though, they are simple and reliable.
You might want to try bypassing the reversing switch and just
connect the motor direct to the box with temporary extender wires

Back