Need yalls opinions

There's bound to be some one within 150-250 miles of you that has a surface grinder that can resurface the top for you. You are not going to remove all of the buger marks, but should get the minor ones to go away. Not much you can do about the really bad ones other than fill with some liquid metal and carefully machine flush. Well-Indes is still in business and they still make that mill, too. Repair parts should be easy to get if needed. Index is a good robust precision mill and should give you years of dependable service. Mine is a 645 model made in 1960, it was in pieces when I got it. Put it back together, had the table surface ground to rid of most of the buger marks, and been running it ever since. Going on 13 years now.

as a point of information,
you could make a milling pallet from a hunk of aluminum or from some plate steel for use as a vise base and general clamping and leave the table as it is and save some money.
you'll lose the headespace taken by the thickness of the pallet, but the end result would be acceptable and useful regardless

Hard to understand how that kind of damage happened- maybe a lot of work was done with angle plates?
Mark

It seems to be a good find. I'd offer only a little less than asking, but our market here would set the price at double what he's asking.

Those holes and digs can be filled , there are epoxies with steel mixed in or cast iron can be added. I'd take it if he knocks off some or throws in vise rotary table or whatever if he has anything. You could mill it and drill and tap plates to the table . Even use stainless it's up to you the repairs to it are not hard or expensive.

Thanks guys I told the guy I'm super interested and would like to come see it at the end of next week but if someone comes money in hand sell it

Well I got a text today the guy sold the mill. Kinda sad but alas my current setup has potential to do what I need it to do. It also allows me to save more towards something awesome. I kinda got new to me mill fever.

it was not meant to be killswitch.
but fret not- there is a machine waiting for you - you just don't know it yet

Thanks ulma doctor!!! I've about 4K to spend on a machine. That wouldn't leave me much for tooling. So I'd like to find a never uncrated brand new J head shipped to my door for 500-1000 bucks that would leave me 3000 to spend on tooling!!!!!!

a man has to dream, and dream big if you are gonna dream!

i hear you guys have a shortage of machinery for sale down there, just stay diligent in your search.
try talking to normal folks about machining stuff or machines and you may be surprised about the conversations or leads that come from the talking
if you place a Wanted ad on craigslist you may get a lead or 2 that way.
your machine will find you soon enough :)

Back