Needed: Maximat 7 tumbler dimensions

stobl

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hey everyone,

A simple request, hopefully. A new to me 7 was missing the tumbler lever, and after seeing none on eBay, I figured it would be easy enough just to make one. I found an easy Chinese source for the gears, but can't find anything about the actual tumbler lever.

I was wondering if anyone had a Maximat 7 and could take some measurements so it could be replicated? It would be a tremendous help to get this machine cutting again.

Thanks!

Blake

Hey everyone,

A simple request, hopefully. A new to me 7 was missing the tumbler lever, and after seeing none on eBay, I figured it would be easy enough just to make one. I found an easy Chinese source for the gears, but can't find anything about the actual tumbler lever.

I was wondering if anyone had a Maximat 7 and could take some measurements so it could be replicated? It would be a tremendous help to get this machine cutting again.

Thanks!

Blake
Hi Blake,
I know it's been a long time since your post, but I joined recently, and have an Emco Maximat 7, and I too am missing the nylon tumbler gears from my lever. I have the lever and the bearings that fit in the bore, and from photos, I'm guessing that the tumbler gears are 22T and approx 24 mm, but was wondering where I could source the gears? Do you still need dimensions for the lever?
-- Chuck

Hi Chuck- No need for dimensions. The guy I bought the lathe from, actually found the tumbler lever and sent it to me. As for the gears- The big issue I ran into at the time was finding nylon/plastic gears. However i was easily able to find steel gears- not ideal but it got the job done. Let me check out my tumbler and see what I can find. It's been a few years and i know I've seen nylon gears recently on aliexpress. All of the gears are simply "Mod 1" spur gears. Using that knowledge I was able to build a complete new set of change gears for under 100 bucks. Let me take a look- i may be able to find some nylon gears. That would certainly be handy to have a spare.

Blake

Hi Blake, thanks for your reply. Yes, it makes sense that the tumbler gears s/b cheap, expendable nylon, so that they fail rather than taking out the spindle gear. I found an Ebay source that will 3D-print whatever gear I can describe. I had to lookup "Mod 1". So if I understand this correctly, a Mod 1 gear has a Pitch Center Diameter (PCD) of 1.0 mm per tooth. So, a 22T gear would have a PCD of 22 mm? That's cool. Can you please verify that the tumbler gears on the Maximat 7 have 22 teeth? I can measure the bore, and estimate width.
Thanks! -Chuck

Back