NEEDED: Somone to machine 1/8" from a QCTP for me

tmenyc

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Friends,
You may have seen my post about my QCTP being too high on my Logan 820...it needs to lose 1/8" to enable me to use my 3/8" bits.
I've been recommended to ask the Forum for someone to do it for me. I don't have a mill, want it done right, i.e. not filed down. I would deeply appreciate the help, will ship priority and of course pay return shipping.
The goal is to have it in my hands for my two week break, which starts December 24.
Many thanks!

Tim

Friends,
You may have seen my post about my QCTP being too high on my Logan 820...it needs to lose 1/8" to enable me to use my 3/8" bits.
I've been recommended to ask the Forum for someone to do it for me. I don't have a mill, want it done right, i.e. not filed down. I would deeply appreciate the help, will ship priority and of course pay return shipping.
The goal is to have it in my hands for my two week break, which starts December 24.
Many thanks!

Tim

Hi Tim,

I'm in Buffalo. I be glad to help you out. I'm not familiar with the project, can you send a link or a picture. Thx.
John

John,
Thank you so much! I'll send a picture tonight. It's similar to many quick change tool posts, like this one. The left side in the picture is the bottom, it would come without all the set screws and handle and center bolt, and needs 1/8" milled off the bottom edge. The problem is that I need to use 3/8" bits in the modern holder that came with my vintage lathe, and it's 1/8" too high for the lathe's center. So, removing that 1/8" from the bottom plate will take care of the job. It's certainly steel but probably not the hardest steel.
wedge-type-quick-change-tool-post-6-14-x-6-14-unbranded_1024x1024.jpg

That tool post is usually called a 4 way tool post. It is not a quick change tool post, which has dovetails to grip the "quick change" blocks that hold the tools. The 4 way you have is a good, rigid design, but is much slower for changing commonly used tooling. You might think about buying a QCTP set, the best price for a decent import set is usually from CDCO. You must make sure you get the correct size set, for the same reasons you are having trouble with yours.

Below is a quick change tool post set, a Bostar, from CDCO. Do not purchase it by "swing size" or "swing diameter." You must do the measuring and the math to figure out what will best fit your lathe and type of work you do.

1544456867132.png
Edit: Why do I have this message?
This message is awaiting moderator approval, and is invisible to normal visitors.

Hi Tim,
That's pretty straight forward Tim. Do you want all four sides done? Also, is the 1/8" removal putting the cutting edge exactly at work piece center or does the tool holder adjust up or down for that? What tolerance is acceptable? 0.125 +0.005/-0.0?
Send me an email JFL4066@aol.com and I'll give you the address.

Edit: Why do I have this message?
This message is awaiting moderator approval, and is invisible to normal visitors.

Bob, I'm not sure what is going on here. I'm looking into it.

[QUOTE

Below is a quick change tool post set, a Bostar, from CDCO. Do not purchase it by "swing size" or "swing diameter." You must do the measuring and the math to figure out what will best fit your lathe and type of work you do.

View attachment 281987

[/QUOTE]

Bob's right: a QCTP would be worthwhile for you since they're easiest to set tool heights and
tool changes are fast once you have some tool holders. 10" Logans use AXA tool posts which
should be fine for 3/8 tools. You might have problems if you try to use 1/2" tools however.

You might think about buying a QCTP set, the best price for a decent import set is usually from CDCO.
I second that. The Bostar set is very good for the money.

Back