Needing some advice

danny12

Registered
Registered
Hoping some of you electrical folks might point me toward a inexpensive motor and vfd for a 2x72 grinder wanting 3hp 56c frame. I've been looking at flebay and amazon But would like to see what you folks, that are much more experienced come up. I know lesson and kb electronics are first choice but would like to some more affordable options. please feel free to pm me with some links or just post them here. I'm sure I'm not the only one a little confused and inexperienced in this.

This is what I'm considering if you see better prices or better product for the money please post up

Thanks danny

Last edited:
Have you thought about using a treadmill motor with control panel to control speed? Depending on your location its very possible to pick up a used one for free to a few dollars and are usually more the strong enough to power a 2x72.

Reactions: Z2V
Have you thought about using a treadmill motor with control panel to control speed? Depending on your location its very possible to pick up a used one for free to a few dollars and are usually more the strong enough to power a 2x72.

I use a treadmill motor for my 2x72 belt grinder and also use one on my 8”buffer/polisher, both free on Craigslist
They both work great.

I have a few of the cheap Chinese VFDs here. 2x72 and 2 on my Bridgeport. They work great. For the grinder, it's a good idea to keep them out of the dust, but that's just generally good advice for anything. Grinding dust is nasty.

For the motor, just about any 3 phase will work. TEFC is preferred, and the mount can be adapted if you want to. Some places make plates, but a drill press and some measuring worked for me. I used a 2HP motor. I've never felt a lack of power.

I also have a treadmill motor here. Lots of people use them without issues. Some use the treadmill panel, others use PWM controls from ebay etc.. People are always giving away treadmills in the local classifieds.

Thanks for the replies. I was looking at the treadmill motor. I think I'll just go three phase for now. I've kept this project on the back burner for to long and now I gotta get it done.

Any suggestions on a specific vfd

Thanks z2v I'll give them a look.
Although I scored a 3hp motor this week and I think I'll do the cheepest vfd on Amazon just for the fun of it.
Like I said before I've been building one for to long. I purchased a Reeder products Wednesday it arrived today. Really nice work.

Thanks for all the great advice

The Teco L510 VFD is also worth looking at, probably a bit better quality and support if you have a problem. Many people use the KB Electronics sealed VFD for this application, but they are quite a bit more expensive. Try to pick up a sealed steel enclosure for the VFD with enough volume that you do not need vent holes. These come up on eBay new/used sometimes at very reasonable prices. You can use a remote start/stop switch and speed control if desired. You may be able to purchase a remoter keypad.

Back