Needle scaler for paint removal

My machine runs better when it looks good :confused 3:, my car and truck get better mileage when there clean :oops:.

I also prefer an angle grinder with a "TWISTED" wire wheel. I have striped and repainted many machines using a twisted wire wheel. The twisted strands in a twisted wire wheel greatly reduces the number of strands that break off and lodge themselves into your hands.

Letting the metal form a very light powdery surface rust before wiping the powder off with acetone and painting with a rust transforming primer seems to give the paint a lot of bite into the metal / casting! My favorite paint is Hammerlite which adheres to metal and metal with a touch of surface rust very well. Rustoleum hammer finish is a very similar if not identical paint to Hammerlite.

Im also a fan of keeping machines painted. Pigpen from the Peanuts cartoon is my mentor. My shop is seldom clean but the machines do occasionally get wiped down. Without a smooth painted surface thats a chore and probably would never happen.

Wiping a surface with solvent prior to painting is usually a futile operation. The solvent dilutes the oil and a rag will remove some of it but a residue is always left behind. A water based degreaser dissolves oil and a water rinse carries it away. Test the surface prior to painting by spraying water on it. If the water wets the surface entirely your good to go, if it beads at all then there is a film on the metal and paint won't stick.

Greg

Greg[/QUOTE] Test the surface prior to painting by spraying water on it. If the water wets the surface entirely your good to go, if it beads at all then there is a film on the metal and paint won't stick.

Greg[/QUOTE]
that is a good tip, I'm also a fan of Function over form, but a smoother surface does seem to make cleaning easier

I wonder how many of the old machines used paint that had lead in it?

I'd guess that could be pretty much guaranteed. I have never been careful of lead exposure, including burning paint off my 130 plus year old house; some years ago, I asked my doctor to do a blood test for lead, it came up dry.

I wonder how many of the old machines used paint that had lead in it?
I can promise you that any machine over 40 years old (US and European makes) and any Asian machine over 10 years old is going to have a ton of lead in the paint. Leaded pigments are too cheap and too darn effective to forego without a set of federal laws forbidding manufacturers from using it. I wouldn't dare use a wire wheel to remove it. You get a massive exposure while doing it, and the mess it leaves all over your work area will guarantee you continue to inhale and ingest the dust for a long time to come. Then you can track that toxic, IQ lowering dust into the house to expose the family, with an extra dose for whoever handles your laundry. There are no mysteries about the deliterious effects of lead on the human body, nor is it a Prop 65 conspiracy. Use a chemical stripper.

(from mobile)

Back