NSFW Never stop paying attention

Warning: thread may contain photos that are not for the squeamish.
When I worked at a quarry, we were told if there is a fire, walk quickly away towards the scalehouse.
Being a first responder , I get to go to the trouble . Last month I found a contractor under a filter he was installing . 2 broken arms and 2 broken legs . He was trying to protect the housing from falling and of course it landed on him . I think I posted about it on the goofs and blunders thread . I did hear he was recovering well , but still , the housing would not have been damaged if it fell over .

My feeling is as most of us are mechanics or machinists of some kind , our first instinct is to save the machinery when something goes wrong . This usually puts one in harms way one way or the other and doesn't end well . We have plenty of injuries and near misses at the plant . Most could have been prevented . We constantly inform employees that machinery can be replaced , your body parts can not .
when loading my chipmaster yesterday I made sure to mention twice "no one gets hurt, I dont care if the lathe gets destroyed in an accident, just nobody gets hurt"

Then when the lathe started sliding off the slick forks and the heavy end hit the ground and the lathe looked to topple over, without thinking I moved to try to prevent it... you can't help but initiate instinctual reactions thinking safety and verbally reminding yourself out loud prior to tasks can help you to halt an instinctual reaction before you get hurt.

Simultaneously the tractor driver dropped the forks the 2 inches to the ground and I stopped my lunge towards the lathe. We got lucky.

This entire event should have been prevented by widening the forks and then strapping the lathe right to the forks prior to moving the tractor.

My feeling is as most of us are mechanics or machinists of some kind , our first instinct is to save the machinery when something goes wrong . This usually puts one in harms way one way or the other and doesn't end well . We have plenty of injuries and near misses at the plant . Most could have been prevented . We constantly inform employees that machinery can be replaced , your body parts can not .
So true. I learned long ago if something goes wrong with a piece of equipment and it starts destroying itself, the only priority is to get to some place that you can't get hurt and wait for the noises to stop. Don't give a damn about what happens to the machine, save your self.

Only thing to be given any consideration is if there's a way to cut the power as you're departing the fix, but only if it doesn't slow your departure or put you in a dangerous spot.

I always used to tell my guys to not give two S's about the aircraft, you are what is important. Only attempt to save the aircraft if, in the process, you're saving yourself or your crew.

Similar advice received from fire chief. If there is a fire go to the door and out. If you grab a fire extinguisher you can do two things. Take it with you or throw it at the fire. Of course a small ashtray sized fire things can be different but get out.

Similar advice received from fire chief. If there is a fire go to the door and out. If you grab a fire extinguisher you can do two things. Take it with you or throw it at the fire. Of course a small ashtray sized fire things can be different but get out.
Pretty much the standard belief for military fire training as well. If you can't put the fire out in a few seconds your only priority is to get out and call the fire dept.

Nothing is worth a life.

Nothing.

I was Search and Rescue, so my training was a little different than the standard briefs. We would risk our lives for another, but only if we had a better than 75-100% chance of saving someone and coming out alive ourselves.

@great white We had a saying at work... "Professional Pace." We would only depart when everything was in order, AND the crew was confident that all safety-related items were covered. You are correct about saving the machine vs saving yourself. I would only try to save the aircraft if the benefit was to me. Luckily, I never had to cross that bridge.

@great white We had a saying at work... "Professional Pace." We would only depart when everything was in order, AND the crew was confident that all safety-related items were covered. You are correct about saving the machine vs saving yourself. I would only try to save the aircraft if the benefit was to me. Luckily, I never had to cross that bridge.
I've been there more than I care to admit.

I've written off more than one 35 million dollar machine in order to complete a mission. I really could care less about the machine. It's a tool to be used and, if necessary, discarded.

Answering to the CO and/or the BOI afterwards is never any fun though.....comes a point where you start wondering exactly "how far up they're going to go" before they're satisfied....

Back