New 101.07403 owner checking in!

TexTJ209

Registered
Registered
Howdy,

I just purchased a Craftsman 101.07403 lathe at a machinist's estate sale with a variety of tooling, but have only run a lathe once in my life (in school for Engineering) so I'm glad I found this site, it's been a great source of info so far!

Here's my machine, I also have a nice 50s vintage Atlas drill press to match.

20191221_131438.jpg

Current goals are to get it cleaned up and running as the new year starts, but I need a motor. I know it's a 56 frame 1750rpm one, but does anybody have any recommendations? I see some Century ones on Amazon for reasonable prices. I also got a SquareD reversing switch along with the lathe, so I'll have to figure out how to wire that up.

Have no need for the Mica undercutter, but it's a neat little device, works great too!

IMG_20191222_180949_412.jpg

Nice find!
Welcome :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum. Looks like a nice lathe.

I've purchased NOS motors off eBay with good results and at low prices. If you know what you need it's worth a look.
I think Grizzly sells motors as well: some folks on the forum have bought from them. I have no idea what their experiences were
though.

Welcome to the forum, I'm sure you'll get what you need here.

Looks like a good machine to me, you can run it with a standard 1750rpm ac motor, a DC motor (like from a treadmill) for variable speed, or a 3 phase with a VFD (also variable speed). That's what I have on my Seneca Falls Star lathe and I like it a lot.

Saying you don't need any tooling if you've only run a lathe once probably isn't true. Keep everything until you either have a better one or sell the lathe, looking for and buying it after you've sold a similar item will be frustrating it at best. That "undercutter" (assuming you mean the small motor that can be mounted on the bed) looks like it might be useful for toolpost grinding operations, definitely something you'll want to do eventually.

Get it cleaned up, hook up a motor and start making chips:encourage:

john

Also, for motors be sure to check out your local Craigslist, Goodwill, ReStore, or other thrift store. Motors are heavy to ship and there should be some used motors available, just make sure to run them before handing over your cash.

John

Looks like a good machine to me, you can run it with a standard 1750rpm ac motor, a DC motor (like from a treadmill) for variable speed, or a 3 phase with a VFD (also variable speed). That's what I have on my Seneca Falls Star lathe and I like it a lot.

Saying you don't need any tooling if you've only run a lathe once probably isn't true. Keep everything until you either have a better one or sell the lathe, looking for and buying it after you've sold a similar item will be frustrating it at best. That "undercutter" (assuming you mean the small motor that can be mounted on the bed) looks like it might be useful for toolpost grinding operations, definitely something you'll want to do eventually.

john

Yeah, the Mica undercutter is the only thing I can't think of a use for but you're right that it may prove useful for something. Here's an ad showing what it was originally used for.

18679-A.jpg

Definitely not ditching any other tooling as it definitely gives me a lot of stuff to play with and not be out anything when I screw up and break some lol.

Thanks for the tip on Goodwill and thrift shops! Hadn't thought of that, will have to drive around and check some out after the holidays!

john

Question for you, I realized I actually have a new in box 3/4 HP 1750 Baldor DC motor sitting on a shelf. Is the 3/4 hp too much motor for these? And if not, I’d just need a DC speed controller, right?

Question for you, I realized I actually have a new in box 3/4 HP 1750 Baldor DC motor sitting on a shelf. Is the 3/4 hp too much motor for these? And if not, I’d just need a DC speed controller, right?
That might just work the treat. Do you know what voltage it is? You’ll want a speed controller anyway but if you already have the motor you can splurge on a good controller. Variable speed is great for these little lathes because it allows you to dial in just the right sfpm to get a good cut.

John

That might just work the treat. Do you know what voltage it is? You’ll want a speed controller anyway but if you already have the motor you can splurge on a good controller. Variable speed is great for these little lathes because it allows you to dial in just the right sfpm to get a good cut.

John

It’s 90V. I also have an Atlas drill press with a 1/2hp, 1750 rpm motor in the correct frame. Trying to decide which would make the most sense to convert if this motor will work. The variable speed would be pretty nice on the DP as well.

Back