• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Project of the Month Reward

Please nominate your favorite Project of the Month HERE! We will now pay $50 to the winners of the Project of the Month, payable in Amazon Gift Card, PayPal (inclusive of fees), Ebay gift card (inclusive of fees), or Visa gift card (purchase and delivery fees included).
[4]

New 12z Owner Here

January Project of the Month [3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Chris Bettis

So basically you can expect a snow storm the week your mill is supposed to arrive? Every heavy piece of equipment I ever get it rains that day. rain.gif
Yeah you can pretty much always expect mother nature to screw up everything here in Colorado. However I've spent 28 years spiting her. So even if there is 2' of snow on the ground it won't stop me from getting the mill home, un crated, and in place.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Chris Bettis

Yep sure will. However I took on another project with the deadline of xmas. Ill be making a present for my gf that is going to take up alot of my spare time. Hopefully I'll be able to make enough time for both the mill, and the new project.. I just wish I could hit the lotto and quit my job. Id never leave my garage..

Chris Bettis

Hey Chris,

Don't hold your breath. Trust me, it doesn't help. It will get there soon, and once there all of the waiting and frustration fades quickly from memory.

We will both be working on our mills over the coming holidays. :D
Yep sure will. However I took on another project with the deadline of xmas. Ill be making a present for my gf that is going to take up alot of my spare time. Hopefully I'll be able to make enough time for both the mill, and the new project.. I just wish I could hit the lotto and quit my job. Id never leave my garage..

Chris Bettis

Well I got confirmation from Paul today. My mill should be shipping Wednesday or Thursday this week. He also sent me a couple of teasers for those interested in seeing the new integrated quill dro fe9567a18b439679581904e665588592.jpg e9b420aa77ceb75f7b39dcf8ffa0d277.jpg not great pictures but there will be more, many more! Hopefully it will be here mid next week.

Franko

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
I tweeked your photos a bit. Hope you don't mind, Chris.

mill dro.jpg
mill.jpg

Chris Bettis

They weren't mine that was Paul's cell phone, I don't mind.

maker of things

Hermit
Looks like they added a 3600 rpm motor option too, interesting. What motor will yours have?

maker of things

Hermit
I took the chart to show an optional 3600(3450) rpm single phase 220 motor. It shows speeds for each gear and if it was belt driven I assumed there would be no gears.

Chris Bettis

It could be speeds for the 3 phase vfd motor with gearbox, Belt drive setups lose the whole faceplate anyway. Ill take a closer look when it gets here

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
It's speeds for the 3hp motor and gearbox combo. Mine looked the same. Once you go to the belt drive, you throw those charts away (literally).

Nice addition of the quill scale.

Nice mill there young man. Hard to believe mine looked like that when I first got it. I'm hoping to hear that my conversion kit has shipped this week as well.

It's almost here.... :)

Chris Bettis

Just got off the phone with the shipping company they said everything will be here next wednesday. Hope you don't mind Bill, I mentioned to Paul I stopped by to look at your machine and plan to get that 3hp vfd and belt drive setup in the near future. He still hasn't hinted or let on any of the (extras) he mentioned he would toss in for making me wait 3 months.. Its like looking at the giant Christmas present with your name on it, and not being allowed to even shake the box before the day comes...

maker of things

Hermit
<Dana Carvey as Grumpy Old Man voice> When I way a boy, we always waited for three months to get our machines, and we didn't get no fancy extras! That's the way it was, and we liked it! :congratulate:

upload_2015-12-9_10-47-33.png

Chris Bettis

<Dana Carvey as Grumpy Old Man voice> When I way a boy, we always waited for three months to get our machines, and we didn't get no fancy extras! That's the way it was, and we liked it! :congratulate:
Hey I didn't ask for anything, he just mentioned he would toss in a couple freebies for the inconvenience of waiting 3 months for the machine. I'll be plenty happy with just getting the mill. But surprises are always good! And even if he doesn't toss in any extras ill be plenty happy with just getting the mill. Ive had 3 months to conjure up ideas and projects for it. Time to get to work!

maker of things

Hermit
I'm just working on my apprenticeship to be a cantankerous old man.

Actually, when I bought mine, I was too impatient to wait the three months. Paul had one that had a bad spot on one of the ways repaired that he gave me a break on. Never have found the spot that was repaired.

I found that the dispos-oil 12 qt container will sit perfectly on the saddle when you run the table all the way forward. It lines up right under the drain port (assuming that didn't move). Didn't even need a funnel.
upload_2015-12-9_12-10-23.png

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
FYI, I just heard from Paul: The paint is drying on my modified parts, everything else is boxed up, and it will ship tomorrow. :D

The 3hp/VFD and belt-drive upgrade is like night and day different. I think you'll like it. :rolleyes:

Chris Bettis

FYI, I just heard from Paul: The paint is drying on my modified parts, everything else is boxed up, and it will ship tomorrow. :D

The 3hp/VFD and belt-drive upgrade is like night and day different. I think you'll like it. :rolleyes:
Nice. Ill have to come back up after you get it installed. See how super smooth it is.

Chris Bettis

Hey Bill, can you measure how thick the base of the mill is where it bolts to the stand?

Chris Bettis

Thanks! Had to figure out what length bolts I need. Im working wednesday but I plan to pick up put the mill on the stand, and get it in the garage Wednesday night. So I need to be prepared.

Chris Bettis

Got some more work done today, the holes are drilled in the chip tray, and the access hole underneath the mill is cut.
For the access hole I used the plasma cutter then cleaned up with a grinding wheel, carbide burr, then hand filed smooth. After that I hit the whole thing with 120 grit paper and a da sander then cleaned with wax and grease remover. Paint goes on tomorrow, weather today prevented painting. 0dbd05926c0f700bb675d6360dfac25b.jpg 5eda7b62f00d7ad757ee1e0c35988199.jpg
The square tube was used as a guide for the carbide burr and grinder.

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
Nice! Wish I'd thought of cutting an access hole in my chip tray before I installed it. Wasn't fun today laying on my back and doing this upside down with a 4 1/2" angle grinder. It ain't pretty, but it's functional. :)

brav65

Active User
Yeah you can pretty much always expect mother nature to screw up everything here in Colorado. However I've spent 28 years spiting her. So even if there is 2' of snow on the ground it won't stop me from getting the mill home, un crated, and in place.

So is it strange to dream of hitting the lottery and calling Matt at QM and ordering one of everything? II have that dream about once a month, and figure I will continue until they throw the first shovel of dirt in.....:)

Chris Bettis

The bottom will be a hammered silver finish 009caf6c874b4ce188098622b46d15e7.jpg e2795f38167a5de8cfd38a63d1872563.jpg it does a nice job hiding all the imperfections from hammering the steel into shape the inside will be a hammered black finish to help point out how dirty my chip tray will be.

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
The black looks great of on my tray. Even when full of chips. :)

[6]
[5] [7]