New 12z Owner Here

I am looking to buy a new mill . How is CO to do business with ? How do the machines hold up? I'm not a pro just a ham and egger but I want something decent. I also want a machine I can power tap with and not cost an arm and a leg.

I finally got my table and saddle off yesterday. Didn't find any sand or gunk behind my gibs. I did file some sharp edges, not because it really needed it but out of peer pressure.Flustered They were just on the bottom side. That bondo sucks for taking the end plates off.

On my machine the max clearance between the bottom of the table to the flat of the saddle on the rough cast part is 1.85" The ballnut for the 25mm ballscrews is 1.9" I will be machining my saddle to accept the x nut and it can't be done on the G0704 which I think is the same window as PM25, so Bill you will either need a friend nearby with another 12z ;)or plan on 20mm screws.

I can power tap with
As long as you have a tapmatic style tapping head. Maybe the belt drive version has instant reverse, but any machine I have seen running a single phase motor won't instant reverse.

I can/have machined the saddle on the PM25, but can't machine the table. But then I don't have 1" screws either. They are about the same size as the screws I took off. I'll mike 'em today when I get out to the garage.

EDIT: Nope, these are smaller screws than the originals. About .785. As I have no experience with ball screws I'm not sure what the ramifications are of that, if any.

Last edited:
I can/have machined the saddle on the PM25, but can't machine the table. But then I don't have 1" screws either. They are about the same size as the screws I took off. I'll mike 'em today when I get out to the garage.

EDIT: Nope, these are smaller screws than the originals. About .785. As I have no experience with ball screws I'm not sure what the ramifications are of that, if any.
So you are already in process with a ball screw conversion on the 12z?

I was just looking at dros for the grinder I got, what drew you to the magnetic vs glass scales?

Yup, (see my thread 1 year update). :)

I may have mis-spoke. I have glass scales on my mills, magnetic on the lathe. Both from DroPros (actually my LMS mini mill also had a DroPros glass scale kit as well). The glass scales have worked great, and I don't use any flood coolant on the mills so I figured the glass would be good enough and save me a few bucks in the process. For the 1340GT I decided to pony up for the EL400 (?) so I could trim the scales to fit and also just in case I decide to put a coolant system on this thing.

Looks good!

How is the stand holding up? Any flex or wobble? Seem pretty sturdy?

I plan to use the same size tubing (I have 24' just lying here). I think it will be more than sufficient, but I also see a lot of overkill here too............ wanted to make sure.

Thanks

Looks good!

How is the stand holding up? Any flex or wobble? Seem pretty sturdy?

I plan to use the same size tubing (I have 24' just lying here). I think it will be more than sufficient, but I also see a lot of overkill here too............ wanted to make sure.

Thanks
The stand is holding up well! Fairly certain it is overkill for it's application. Haven't had any issues with vibration either.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Back