New 5c Collet Chuck and Collets! :)

Like others have mentioned, The 5C scroll chuck is an invaluable addition to any lathe work. Your abilities to quickly change out collets from 1.125" and down will be a time saver in the long run with very precise holding especially for your gunsmithing.

You have a special friend Bill, obviously your special to him/her. We're fortunate to have friend/s like this. I too have been blessed with a special friend made only possible by this site.
Congratulations on your 5C system.
Paco

Changing out parts is quick, but I'm finding that changing out collets is not as quick. :)

I'm going to make a little 9mm square drive that will fit in my DeWalt impact driver. THEN I'll be changing collets quickly. :D

Make a 5C speed handle, works great and takes about 10-15 seconds to switch out a collet. Repurposed the speed handle from my vise and used collet blocks to cut the hex and square key out of 1" steel stock. I am always hesitant to use a power drive as the 5C collets (at least mine) often needs to be jiggled a bit to catch the threads.
20180201_093621.jpg

Make a 5C speed handle, works great and takes about 10-15 seconds to switch out a collet. Repurposed the speed handle from my vise and used collet blocks to cut the hex and square key out of 1" steel stock. I am always hesitant to use a power drive as the 5C collets (at least mine) often needs to be jiggled a bit to catch the threads.
View attachment 257714

Now there's an idea! Thanks Mark. Ah...what's a collet block?

Collet blocks are handy for use in the mill. The block holds the collet, you cinch down your workpiece, and use your mill vise to hold the block. I have these in 5C and ER40 versions. Perhaps there are more. EDIT: These then work like a mini indexer.

Here's an example of the 5C set at Amazon. Note that a spanner is best to tighten the ring but a pare of channel locks works in a pinch. There are some blocks out there that come with the spanner.

Now that you are set up with 5C's you're going to need a set! BTW, I have seen where folks use these in a lathe but I am betting the runout would be unacceptable to me and why do that when you have a nice 5C chuck?

1518373672118.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Collet blocks are handy for use in the mill. The block holds the collet, you cinch down your workpiece, and use your mill vise to hold the block. I have these in 5C and ER40 versions. Perhaps there are more. EDIT: These then work like a mini indexer.

Here's an example of the 5C set at Amazon. Note that a spanner is best to tighten the ring but a pare of channel locks works in a pinch. There are some blocks out there that come with the spanner.

Now that you are set up with 5C's you're going to need a set! BTW, I have seen where folks use these in a lathe but I am betting the runout would be unacceptable to me and why do that when you have a nice 5C chuck?

View attachment 257735

These things are really handy. Love e'm. One thing to watch for though... If you do milling operations, make sure the collet is tight!

Ray

Thanks Alan! There appears to be much to learn about all things 5c related. :)

I recently acquired (another 'for services rendered'...don't ask. ;) ) a BS-1 and thought this would be an excellent little task to give it a try on.

New BS-1.jpg

Very nice indexer Bill! Yes, another PM sourced item. They work well but can be classified as a "Herniator" - spelled heavy.

The little 5C collet blocks will be your go to often vs. the BS-1. But The BS-1 is invaluable when needed.

Yea, the BS-0 might have been a wiser choice. I told the wife that I may need to buy one of those little 'heavy duty' roll around carts from HF to store my PBA, the indexer, and my rotary table on. I forsee the day when I don't want to walk across the garage with either the BS-1 or my PBA. :eek:

Back