New 7x12 HF and Jet 414559 bandsaw the same?

beeser

Registered
Registered
The new 7x12 Harbor Freight and Jet 414559 look very much alike. Are they made by the same manufacturer?

I doubt it. The Jet 414559 is made in Taiwan and the HF is from China. Well, technically Taiwan is China but they're trying hard not to be. In any case, probably not the same maker.

They look very similar, but are not made from the same castings. There are subtle differences

The Jet model you listed is their newest model which has been updated. Castings are different. These 7x12 bandsaws were based on the Rong Fu RF-712N. The HF 7x12 still looks identical to the RF-712N as did the older Jet 7x12 & many others. My MSC/Vectrax 7x12 looks just like the RF-712N, even came with a 712N manual.

I'm not a fan of anything HF but the following video describing their new 7x12 bandsaw caught my attention, especially after comparing it to the Jet 414559. The Jet is about $1400 and the HF is just under $700 with their best discount coupon. Is the Jet worth the extra money?

My only issue with Jet is that they change a model and drop support for the last model. Jet no longer has nor can get parts nor accessories for my lathe that I bought new from them. It was only 5 years old when I wanted to get their 5C collet closer, I have the GH1340, they had come out with a GH1340A which is a very different machine and no longer support my model at all only the new version. Of course the closer for the new is not compatible with the old. To me Jet is not woth paying anything extra for.

Back