New 932 mill

wyodano

Registered
Registered
just picked the PM 932 mill from the trucking company.. Looks good so far but not impressed with the cast iron stand. Any recommends on what size vice to buy and what cutting tools I should have.... as always money is a issue but buying cheap cost more in the long run....I am not a machinest by any scale. But getting set up for retirement in a few years. I have a south bend light 10 lathe with taper attachment, Delta 7 inch shaper. Any knowledge you can pass my way would be greatly appreciated...... Thank You.

Congratulations on your new mill. Kurt would be my choice of vise, but I would probably search for a used one first, and then buy a cheap knock off. Then eventually buy a new Kurt. That is me, maybe just buy a new Kurt from the start and not waste your time.:grin:
Cheers
Martin

Congratulations on your new mill!! I love mine...

I would take a look at the Glacern vise..I don't own one but have read good things. I have a 6" Magnum vise on my pm932 and think it's the perfect size.

I would look at Kodiak endmills, they have a nice little carbide set and are made in the USA. I also recommend a Luminar spline wrench.

Shars has about anything you need. I will usually go there if I'm looking for budget minded items rather than gambling with cheep stuff on eBay..I will look for high end stuff on eBay because sometimes there are good deals.

Good luck and have fun!!

Last edited:
You can’t go wrong with a Kurt, but I would add my vote for a Glacern vise. Watch their website for free shipping offers if you can wait.

I have the Glacern 5” on my PM932 and it’s a great vise. The 5” fits neatly on the 932 but I wouldn’t hesistate to put the 6” on it if I were buying again.

Like you I’m a hobby machinist and this is my first mill. Based on my experience as a new machinist I would say that quality end mills are worth the price and you don’t need one in every shape and size. A handful of quality HSS or cobalt in roughing and finishing styles will do most things that you want to.

The one piece of tooling that I wish I had bought from the get go was a quality face mill. I got a 2.5” fine insert model and find I use it very often. Once I got my mill trammed dead nuts on its a dream to use. My various fly cutter are mostly collecting dust.

I also use a Glacern vise on my 8530 Clausing mill. They are very nice. I happened to need one when they had free shipping.....makes them even more reasonably priced.

Glacern also has some really nice looking facemills while your on their website, I'm drooling for one of those!! A facemill is awesome tool to have in the line-up..

I bought a 6" Glacern vise at Xmas time with free shipping and really like it. They also have a scratch and dent page on there website.

Back