New 935 Is Running!

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Well, sorta.

Today I got the VFD mounted, made a 12 ga. cable to plug into the wall, and ran the cables to the control box and motor.

Even managed to get the VFD programmed (I hope I did it right...). Did a test run to see if I would let the factory smoke out, but it runs perfectly. And very quietly . :)

I even checked the backgear to make sure it works like a BP. Yup, it does, in that forward is now reverse, and reverse is now forward. :confused: Monday Chris Bettis and I are going to get this thing off this pallet and onto it's new stand. I'm almost there...

I bolted the VFD to the smaller side access panel like Matt suggested. Not sure if I'm going to add the USB cable or not. We'll see.
IMG_0671.jpg

IMG_0672.jpg

I still have some cable routing to do as you can see.

Well, I'm in the process of cutting the pallet down to get my hoist around it. It's getting a bit unsteady, but I'm almost there.

Slowly....

Never held my breath so long...

The pallet is trimmed as much as I dare, and it's enough to get the hoist hooked up to it. Tomorrow (when Chris is here), I'll lift it just off the remains of the pallet and whack those lower 2x4s off and slide the remains out from under the mill. Then we'll figure out how to get the mill on it's new stand.

IMG_0674.jpg

Ahhh....

Remember doing that...

And yeah... remember holding my breath... <grin>

It will all work out... just takes a bit of thought and some extra hands (in my case to extra folks for about 30 minutes).

Well, patience isn't my long suit (and being a low-grade genius doesn't mean I always make smart decisions), so after staring at this thing for a bit I decided to go for it (the phone was within arms reach with 911 punched in...).

It's so cute! And so very vertically challenged (read short). :cautious:

I do realize that there are hundreds of pounds of extra cast iron here, but the 12z dwarfs this thing height and width wise. I'd be sitting on this little stool I put next to it for any prolonged work on this guy. Thank goodness the stand is almost done.

IMG_0675.jpg

Matt is right about this being a "space saving" mill. ;) :D (sorry Matt, couldn't resist)

EDIT: Oh, and FYI: I actually had to move the table in towards the column and still had the mill leaning forward an inch or so. Swinging the head to the rear worked pretty well.

Are you gonna put the TS in the corner when the 12Z goes to a new home?

Are you gonna put the TS in the corner when the 12Z goes to a new home?

No, it's going straight back towards the wall. I will be putting the 40" toolbox that I keep the mill's tooling in over there. I'm actually going to have some room to walk around in my shop now. :)

Those mills sure look nice. And what an elegant solution to make the y crank go the right direction for you, and the z easier to change:grin big:

Did you figure out where to mount your machine lights yet?

Those mills sure look nice. And what an elegant solution to make the y crank go the right direction for you, and the z easier to change:grin big:

Did you figure out where to mount your machine lights yet?

The Z is not THAT much easier, but it takes a lot more cranking to get the head to move very far. ;)

Not sure about the lights. Thought about sticking them on either side of the 'knuckle' and see how that works.

Last edited:
Mill looks good sitting there Bill. I found the limit in size on mine Saturday. I had a transmission case to drill some holes in for an adapter and with the knee all the way down I could get the transmission on the table but just not enough room to put a drill chuck and bit in it. Oh well, I don't think even a 9x49 would have given me any more because the Z travel is about the same.

Thank goodness I still had my 20" floor mounted drill press. I had been contemplating selling it but after Saturday she's a keeper for sure now.

Had I not had to stand the trans on end it would have been fine but kind of bummed me out I couldn't use the mill and had to go old school for drilling and tapping holes.:frown 2:

Mike.

Back