NEW ACRA 1640TE

looking great Paco!

for something like that ring, I'd suggest grinding or buying a trepanning cutter. It's like a cut off tool, but with one side curved underneath the cutter to match the ID of the ring you need to cut. 1 inch is quite doable. Then all you do is plunge cut into the face of the disk a little smaller than the final desired ID and finish bore to size. Saves a load of time and you get a nice slug to use for something else.

looking great Paco!

for something like that ring, I'd suggest grinding or buying a trepanning cutter. It's like a cut off tool, but with one side curved underneath the cutter to match the ID of the ring you need to cut. 1 inch is quite doable. Then all you do is plunge cut into the face of the disk a little smaller than the final desired ID and finish bore to size. Saves a load of time and you get a nice slug to use for something else.

Man, I didn't even give that a thought. I could have had a nice 3.5"+ disc when finished. I will remember this the next time I have a similar task.
Thanks for posting, I'm always learning.

Paco

Man, I didn't even give that a thought. I could have had a nice 3.5"+ disc when finished. I will remember this the next time I have a similar task.
Thanks for posting, I'm always learning.

Paco

you're very welcome. Trepanning is a win all round; less time, less mess and more material left to play with :) It should be especially so on a lathe like that, which has the rigidity and power to make the most of a trepanning tool.

Cut the register on the new backplate for the Bison 4-jaw combination chuck. I measured four times and determined I needed to take .0825", I set up the DRO and took .0255" re-measured, had .057" remaining and took that amount off for a excellent fit. The Bison looks right at home on the Acra.

Taking the second and final pass.
IMG_3242.JPG

The old backplate for the 1440 (D1-4). Those pins are .625" diameter.
IMG_3243.JPG

The newly fitted D1-6 backplate. Those pins are .875" diameter . The heavier back plate adds 16 pounds to the Bison.
IMG_3244.JPG

Looks good and runs smooth.
IMG_3245.JPG

Turning at 625 RPM. I luv this chuck...Back in business:cocksure:.
IMG_3246.JPG

With the Bison on the lathe, a new spider is on deck. I'm hoping to shoot some paint on the break first thing in the a.m., and turn the spider while the paint dries.
Turn and Burn!

Paco

Thanks Mike, I sure am. Still trying to find the correct back plate for the 5C scroll chuck. I hate not having that in service.

Paco

I hear ya. Once you talked me into that collet chuck I try to use my collets as much as possible and would be lost without them, especially since purchasing a full set of Hardinge a while back.

Mike

Worked on the spider yesterday. I used a piece of 3" round salvaged from a home made drilling rig from way back. The 3" round bar was a drive axel for a large 43" gear and friction brake.

fullsizeoutput_67a.jpeg

Facing and cleaning up the OD.
IMG_3269.JPG

IMG_3271.JPG

Center drilled and stepped drilled to 1-3/16" for boring.
IMG_3272.JPG

IMG_3273.JPG

IMG_3275.JPG

IMG_3277.JPG

This video shows the accuracy of the proximity carriage micro stop. The repeatability is equally impressive. Jacobs systems work great.

The second short video shows the repeatability.

Almost finished.
IMG_3281.JPG

IMG_3282.JPG

Thats all folks....

Paco

Back