• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I will not be around. I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

NEW ACRA 1640TE

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

f350ca

Active User
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
Come on Paco, spin the chuck by hand, we need to see chips. lol
There's always a couple of little glitches when you dive into a project like this.

Greg

woodchucker

Titanium
Former Member
Well fellas, after a long day we simply ran out of time. I had to move back other equipment after locating the lathe. I still need to level her out before I can make chips but we hit a couple of minor snags. The tach pickup need to be modified. It seems the balance collar is slightly magnetized although I'm inclined to think the multiple threaded holes around the circumference 12 total (for balancing ) have something to do with the erratic pickup. The second issue is yet to be confirmed, but we suspect a bad 3 pole breaker (3Ph) that feeds the Dc power supply and the 240vac 3 ph flood pump where we pulled 110 to supply power for the hardwired DRO. The lathe was running great with everything working as it should with the exception of the tach but foam strips and electrical tape allowed us to make it work for now (insulator). Then without warning, everything went dark except the VFD. The 24vdc led's, the 110vacDRO and the rest of the control system relies on 24vdc. The 3 pole breaker that supplies juice to the said components is a Siemens so not junk but things happen. I will conform bad breaker tomorrow and get the machine level. Wait for new part and start test cuts ASAP. Mark was able to auto tune the VFD to the motor via laptop prior to the power loss.

The wall enclosure. Top left: AC Choke, three pole 240v 3ph breaker (possible problem), through cover disconnect, VFD, fuse blocks and DC power supply. The brake resistor can be seen behind the fuse blocks and breaker. The cooling fan also runs from the dc power supply.
View attachment 261362
How she looked running, impressively quiet at 1200 RPM.
View attachment 261363
How she sits DIW. She looks right at home. :)
View attachment 261364
When I think of the amount of work that went into this and all the replacement components a couple of snags are minor nuisances.
Mark really knows his stuff, he's super helpful and generous.
Stay tuned guys, I'm now without a working lathe so It will be top priority to get her operational ASAP, then we can begin the performance evaluation.

Take care,

Paco
minor set back I am sure. Things are looking good.

firestopper

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Come on Paco, spin the chuck by hand, we need to see chips. lol
There's always a couple of little glitches when you dive into a project like this.

Greg
Haha, can't guarantee what kind of surface finish a 1Paco horse (1PH) would provide. But I have a feeling my wing would quit me.

Paco

minor set back I am sure. Things are looking good.

Hey Jeff,

Your right, The machine underwent a complete control makeover. A couple of minor bugs really didn't take the wind out on my sail. It won't be long now.

Paco

firestopper

Got home this morning and got the power issue worked out. Mark had suggested powering on the DRO (rear switch) after powering up the machine reducing the initial load. A new higher amp rated 3 pole breaker will solve this issue. The new magnets arrived yesterday while I was at work so I replaced the smaller magnet with a 5/16" x .125" magnet for the hall sensor. It took care of the problem the tachometer was having. I then leveled the machine, This took longer than I expected but got the bed lined up. I had to repeat this several time as the sensitive level would change over time. I think the cast was relaxing as time past. I'll re-level in a weeks time.

Began with the headstock and worked in a counter clock wise fashion ending up with the two outboard leveling feet.
IMG_3145.JPG

IMG_3150.JPG

The tailstock end.
IMG_3147.JPG

I then chucked up the set bar Mark loaned me. I was surprised to find the 8" 3 jaw chuck only had .0015" of runout.
Even more surprising was the readings I got with 16" of travel.
fullsizeoutput_675.jpeg

1/2 way to the tailstock, same values.
IMG_3152.JPG

At the tailstock, same values.
IMG_3154.JPG

IMG_3155.JPG

Time to take a test cut. I pulled a new piece of 2" CR and faced the end, then took two .0625 passes. I tried two different speeds and feeds to get familiar with the machine, both speeds/feeds yielded a decent surface finish using a used insert.
The second cut proved to be accurate throughout the cut. I used a 0-2" micrometer to measure the diameter in three places.
The DRO was used for both passes to verify the accuracy of the cuts. I'm glad a 1 micron scale was used for the X axis. Both .0625" (.125") passes gave this result.
IMG_3159.JPG

No more sneaking up on final passes:cool: I spent the rest of the day getting familiar with the gear box, controls, feeds and speeds. It looks like I will only need to use two speed selections for the most part with the VFD infinite speed control. The old 1440is a nice machine, but damn this baby is sweet.
This photo shot is for you Greg. :chunky:
IMG_3160.JPG

Got the first hour on the lathe.
IMG_0310.JPG

The first job will be to turn two new back plates, one for the 8" 4 jaw Bison combo chuck and one for the 5C scroll chuck.
I'm confidant I will be "turning by the numbers" from now on.
Thanks for looking.

Turn and Burn!
Paco

Attachments

mksj

Active User
Impressive, glad it is up and running. One sweet machine.
Mark

firestopper

Impressive, glad it is up and running. One sweet machine.
Mark
Thanks Mark,
I couldn't have done it without your expertise and help.

f350ca

Active User
Congratulations Paco !!
Thanks for getting that chip pan soiled, now it looks like a machine lol
Those back plates will really break it in with some cast iron graphite.
Nice machine.

Greg

firestopper

Congratulations Paco !!
Thanks for getting that chip pan soiled, now it looks like a machine lol
Those back plates will really break it in with some cast iron graphite.
Nice machine.

Greg
It was about time Greg,
BTW, the swarf is still in the pan hahah.

Here's a couple of quick videos. I am no videographer, but you get the jist.

Paco

Last edited:

f350ca

Active User
Some very impressive features Paco
Having the travel reverse on the carriage is nice.
Love that jog function.
Thanks for the videos.

Greg

firestopper

Some very impressive features Paco
Having the travel reverse on the carriage is nice.
Love that jog function.
Thanks for the videos.

Greg
The reversing feature will come in handy and save time. The Jog is set to 20 htz or close to 30-35 RPM for power tapping larger holes.
Thanks for following along Greg, Your input is always appreciated.
Paco

zmotorsports

Hey looky there Paco, CHIPS!!!

Looks great my friend.

Mike

firestopper

Hey looky there Paco, CHIPS!!!

Looks great my friend.

Mike
Yea, finally made some.
Every machine has their own idiosyncrasy/personality. I could control the 1440 with ease after 17years. I got some learning to do.;)

Thanks Mike!

Paco

extropic

Active User
Former Member
Thanks for posting the process Paco. She's a beauty.
Nothing left to do now but make parts.
Just wondering, did the machine come with a jog function or is that something Mark added via the VFD?
Like you indicated, that joy stick will be a joy to use in a number of scenarios. I would like to try it for indicating parts in a 4 jaw. No need to shift to neutral and drag the chuck around when the RPMs are that low and controllable.
I know you won't mind the reminder, keep safe.

When do we get the next installment on the brake? :grin:

firestopper

Thanks for posting the process Paco. She's a beauty.
Nothing left to do now but make parts.
Just wondering, did the machine come with a jog function or is that something Mark added via the VFD?
Like you indicated, that joy stick will be a joy to use in a number of scenarios. I would like to try it for indicating parts in a 4 jaw. No need to shift to neutral and drag the chuck around when the RPMs are that low and controllable.
I know you won't mind the reminder, keep safe.

When do we get the next installment on the brake? :grin:
Hi extropic,
I turned the first project yesterday. Machine ran very nicely. The jog (joy stick) was added as was all the front control switches. The entire rear control board was removed and replaced with Mark's 12 24VDC system. I think the only original switches that remain are the fwd/rvs, micro safety switch for the end cover and the foot brake. I had mark remove the chuck guard micro switch as well.

More on the finger brake comping soon!

Paco

Last edited:

firestopper

How much did that 1640 cost you? I found a 1660 on penn tool co for 10k.
More than likely what you saw was a Chinese made Acra.
So the 1640TE ran us close to 13K base machine only. Going from 1440 to 1640 was a $900 difference.

The machine you found on Penn tool is a completely different machine. The 1640TE weighs 400# more than the 1660 found on Pends website.
Richard King stated Arca offers some machines made in ML China. The Acra TE series are the same as the RML sold by Kent tool. These machines are build in Taiwan by Sun Master. I posted a video of Sum Master on the first page. I also can confirm that Tom provides machines to other dealers, in fact they (Acra) where preparing several machine headed to Sterling machinery while I was picking up my lathe there at Rancho Cucamonga.

Cant tell you much about the ACRA FEL-1660-GCY.

Paco

firestopper

I posted this up yesterday, but this morning after several attempts to log in to HM only to have an error messages and finally after successfully logging in, I noticed everything I posted including PM's where nowhere to be found. Weird....anybody else lose posts/messages?

Yesterday, I turned the first project on the lathe. It's an aluminum collar that secures to the balance ring. The balance ring has 12 threaded holes evenly spaced. Only two holes (next to each other) have set screws. These holes where confusing the mag pick up sensor. I verified the ring was not magnetized so that only left the holes to blame for the unreliable RPM reading.
The Collar started out as 1" wide x 5" diameter disc. The piece was secured in the 3 jaw by the OD first to face, core, bore and chamfer. The piece was then rotated and rechucked by the ID. The second side was faced to final width and turned to final OD. During the boring operation, I plugged in the numbers in the DRO and took .060" per pass and one final pass twice using the reversing feed knob. The cut difference on second final pass was crazy low like .00004" The new collar first almost too tight but will slide if pulled evenly. I normally would have snuck up on the final ID/OD with the 1440, but those days are over.;)

The fist side faced. The surface finish was impeccable using old inserts.
IMG_3176.JPG

Use the largest annular cutter I had to save a little time.
IMG_3177.JPG

IMG_3179.JPG

Bored bt the numbers including final pass.
Test fit was almost too tight.
IMG_3180.JPG

Flipped ring and scored it by the ID. Faced to dimension and turned Diameter then Chamfered.
IMG_3181.JPG
IMG_3182.JPG

OD.
IMG_3183.JPG

Almost done.
IMG_3185.JPG

IMG_3186.JPG

Set up the mill to create two magnet pockets 180º apart. The depth was .125" for a flush finish. Also rotated the ring 90º and drilled/tapped for a single SS set screw. The set screw will secure over the only blind hole on the ring.
IMG_3188.JPG
IMG_3189.JPG

Red loc-tite was tabled into the 5/16" pockets and the magnets where set with north pole up. Two center punch strikes stake in the magnet while the red loc-tite cures. Using two magnets will provide a lower PRM reading.
IMG_3191.JPG

The SS set screw.

IMG_3190.JPG

The tach now works in all ranges, although the last digit still hunts +/- 2. We have a better quality sensor on order.

Here's a short video of the two stage motor brake in action. The E-stop will always brake in 1.2 seconds regardless of switch position.
Position 1 = brakes in 1.2 seconds
Position 2 = brakes in 2-5 seconds

Thanks for looking.

Paco

mattthemuppet2

looking great Paco!

for something like that ring, I'd suggest grinding or buying a trepanning cutter. It's like a cut off tool, but with one side curved underneath the cutter to match the ID of the ring you need to cut. 1 inch is quite doable. Then all you do is plunge cut into the face of the disk a little smaller than the final desired ID and finish bore to size. Saves a load of time and you get a nice slug to use for something else.

firestopper

looking great Paco!

for something like that ring, I'd suggest grinding or buying a trepanning cutter. It's like a cut off tool, but with one side curved underneath the cutter to match the ID of the ring you need to cut. 1 inch is quite doable. Then all you do is plunge cut into the face of the disk a little smaller than the final desired ID and finish bore to size. Saves a load of time and you get a nice slug to use for something else.
Man, I didn't even give that a thought. I could have had a nice 3.5"+ disc when finished. I will remember this the next time I have a similar task.
Thanks for posting, I'm always learning.

Paco

mattthemuppet2

Man, I didn't even give that a thought. I could have had a nice 3.5"+ disc when finished. I will remember this the next time I have a similar task.
Thanks for posting, I'm always learning.

Paco
you're very welcome. Trepanning is a win all round; less time, less mess and more material left to play with :) It should be especially so on a lathe like that, which has the rigidity and power to make the most of a trepanning tool.

firestopper

Cut the register on the new backplate for the Bison 4-jaw combination chuck. I measured four times and determined I needed to take .0825", I set up the DRO and took .0255" re-measured, had .057" remaining and took that amount off for a excellent fit. The Bison looks right at home on the Acra.

Taking the second and final pass.
IMG_3242.JPG

The old backplate for the 1440 (D1-4). Those pins are .625" diameter.
IMG_3243.JPG

The newly fitted D1-6 backplate. Those pins are .875" diameter . The heavier back plate adds 16 pounds to the Bison.
IMG_3244.JPG

Looks good and runs smooth.
IMG_3245.JPG

Turning at 625 RPM. I luv this chuck...Back in business:cocksure:.
IMG_3246.JPG

With the Bison on the lathe, a new spider is on deck. I'm hoping to shoot some paint on the break first thing in the a.m., and turn the spider while the paint dries.
Turn and Burn!

Paco

zmotorsports

Looks great Paco. I'll bet your glad to be back up and spinning again.

Mike

firestopper

Thanks Mike, I sure am. Still trying to find the correct back plate for the 5C scroll chuck. I hate not having that in service.

Paco

zmotorsports

Thanks Mike, I sure am. Still trying to find the correct back plate for the 5C scroll chuck. I hate not having that in service.

Paco
I hear ya. Once you talked me into that collet chuck I try to use my collets as much as possible and would be lost without them, especially since purchasing a full set of Hardinge a while back.

Mike

firestopper

Worked on the spider yesterday. I used a piece of 3" round salvaged from a home made drilling rig from way back. The 3" round bar was a drive axel for a large 43" gear and friction brake.

fullsizeoutput_67a.jpeg

Facing and cleaning up the OD.
IMG_3269.JPG

IMG_3271.JPG

Center drilled and stepped drilled to 1-3/16" for boring.
IMG_3272.JPG

IMG_3273.JPG

IMG_3275.JPG

IMG_3277.JPG

This video shows the accuracy of the proximity carriage micro stop. The repeatability is equally impressive. Jacobs systems work great.

The second short video shows the repeatability.

Almost finished.
IMG_3281.JPG

IMG_3282.JPG

Thats all folks....

Paco

[6]
[5] [7]