NEW ACRA 1640TE

The smaller magnetic scales are sure a lot nicer to mount.
When you have the compound to the bed will the scale interfere with the tailstock.
Think you'll find you have the compound parallel most of the time. I hardly ever even swing it to thread now.

Greg

Hi Greg,

Had to go get provisions for the lap dogs:eek:, 180 pounds worth of dry food and two flats of weto_O. I figured you'd appreciate this Greg:p.
Those four GSD's like to eat good hahah. I have to make this run every six weeks. As far as the waste, well its around 30#'s a week:cry: (TMI!!!)

Anyway, Thanks for getting back to me. Yes, this magnetic scales are compact with only .375" of protrusion. When you ask "compound to the bed" I'm assuming parallel to the bed (forgive my ignorance). If this is what you mean, Yes, all sorts of room.

The first photo shows the cross feed travel all the way forward. Plenty of room left for the carriage towards the head stock but the long scale is sticking past at the moment.
IMG_2990.JPG

In this shot the cross feed is in with plenty more room to go inboard. I had to stop there as the extra long scale (sticking out towards the chuck) had not been cut yet and will contact the chuck. I plan on using a CXA QCTP, that should give me more clearance when arranged the same way you have yours.
IMG_2991.JPG

On my 1440, I have been threading with the compound at 90º for years since I use robust threading inserts. The 29.5º was the way I learned in HS, but discontinued this some years back with excellent threading results using only the cross feed.
I'll get the scale cut to size and see how close to the tailstock it will get.
Thanks again for your input. I'll have my phone to monitor any other questions or recommendations for the compound scale mount.

Paco

Yah I understand the grocery run. Saddie goes through a 30 pound bag in 3 or 4 weeks along with a half can a day. As for waste, she wanders back into the bush behind the house, thankfully I don't know where.

Greg

Last edited:
Hi Ron,

Thanks for responding, at the time of purchase of the EL700, I asked Dan about other options for a smaller scales & reader heads. He told me the S1 was the smallest combination that would work with the EL 700.
Those are some cool options though.

Wouldn't it be cool to have a wireless read head (bluetooth) system.

Paco

Last edited by a moderator:
Paco,
I would ask you to reconsider putting the scale on the spindle side of the compound as you've mocked it up. I try for minimum tool overhang to keep the set-up as rigid as I can. You're adding an accessory that will increase your minimum tool overhang and will put the scale/cover in close proximity to the cutting action (danger zone?)
I don't understand why you chose to do it opposite to what Greg pictured. Why not put the scale on the other (operator) side of the compound? What am I missing here? :penny:

Interesting advice from Dan
Had a look at the Electronica website and as far as I can tell the signal output from the EMB readhead used with the SI is the same as the newer EMC14 A or B used with the newer stick on mini scales.
I purchased a S1 to replace the Glass scale on the cross slide of my 330 x 1000 lathe as it gets in the way of the cross slide lock but I am now investigating the mini scales as they are shorter and narrower which will totally solve my problem.

Will probably have two new S1 scales and read heads to sell (150 & 170 mm travel)

The other option is Ditron magnetic scales available from http://www.dcoee.com.
Cheers
Ron

Paco,
I would ask you to reconsider putting the scale on the spindle side of the compound as you've mocked it up. I try for minimum tool overhang to keep the set-up as rigid as I can. You're adding an accessory that will increase your minimum tool overhang and will put the scale/cover in close proximity to the cutting action (danger zone?)
I don't understand why you chose to do it opposite to what Greg pictured. Why not put the scale on the other (operator) side of the compound? What am I missing here? :penny:

The gib and compound lock is on the left side. I have not drilled/mounted as of yet. Something tells me I should have stuck to my original plan on using the third scale on the tailstock......I've already cut the scale to fit the compound:disspirited:.

Gonna have to figure this out....
Thanks for the input.
Paco

The scale looks quite a bit shorter on mine, does your compound have that much travel to need all that scale Paco? If you can shorten it it might mount above the lock screw and behind the t-slot.

Greg

Back