NEW ACRA 1640TE

I like the foot brake arrangement. My 13x40 also has the two internal shoes at the other end of the belts. It works great, but yours appears to be a design fairly easy to copy for anyone interested in a retrofit foot brake, if there is room to move the motor a bit to allow modifications to the pulley end.

Bob,
Its much more direct like you mentioned, the motor shaft would have to be long enough to support the added flywheel. The brake band has a riveted (I think) flexible braking shoe along the rear contact surface.
Should work well.

If you get a chance, I wouldn't mind seeing a clear picture of the lathe's threading chart. Looks like it has a really neat QCGB.

Here you go. The letters L and H represent Low and High speed position followed by the gear selection combinations.
IMG_2914.JPG

The QCGB.
IMG_2916.JPG

The lead screw threading dial rotates to to disengage when not in use.
IMG_2917.JPG

Rotated in position for use.
IMG_2918.JPG

Paco

Check if low and high makes any difference in the feed rates Paco. My Summit has three ranges of spindle speed, and the thread and feed chart is broken into three sections corresponding to the ranges but I can cut any thread in any range and feeds certainly don't change with the range Never figured that one out.
Makes no sense that you would have to cut 2 tpi in high range and 72 tpi in low.

Greg

Check if low and high makes any difference in the feed rates Paco. My Summit has three ranges of spindle speed, and the thread and feed chart is broken into three sections corresponding to the ranges but I can cut any thread in any range and feeds certainly don't change with the range Never figured that one out.
Makes no sense that you would have to cut 2 tpi in high range and 72 tpi in low.

Greg

Greg,
The gearing is obvious way different at the two extreems,but once I get it powered up, I'll check it out for sure. Got me scratching my head now hahah.

This 12vdc low profile light came in today. I found it on eBay for under 50 bucks. It has snap-in magnet clips so no drilling required.
IMG_2923.JPG

IMG_2921.JPG

The 52" strip tucks nicely under the top return on the backsplash.
IMG_2920.JPG

Puts out hella light with the right temp for my liking. Tuned off the shop lights to set the mood.:cool:
IMG_2919.JPG

Started milling the DRO head unit mount as well.
IMG_2929.JPG

Mocking up for measurements. I needed to allow space for the tach and speed control box that will mount below the readout unit.
IMG_2930.JPG

Still profiling the block of aluminum. for the read head arm to mount to.
IMG_2931.JPG

Pretty stoked about working with Mark (mksj) tomorrow.

Thats all amigos.

Paco

Acra makes good equipment. We had a 16x60 lathe at my last job. Where I work now we have an Acra 2j mill BP clone.

Back