New Almost Clausing 8520 Owner

Briney Eye

Registered
Registered
Should be picking up the mill and tooling in the morning. I'm looking forward to getting it cleaned up (and probably painted) and moved into my little shop. It's in pretty good shape, in a pro shop for many years (A few feet from a Hardinge HLV). Some TLC and I'll have a nice mill to go with my little Logan lathe. Love this old iron.

Welcom to the fun , we'll /I'll need pics,
should be a good one

Welcom to the fun , we'll /I'll need pics,
should be a good one
I intend to document some of the effort. It's running on single-phase now, so there will be a new motor and VFD, and I love the TouchDRO setup I installed on the lathe, so I'll be doing that (I'm wondering how I'll like using one tablet for both machines). It will be fun.

Hi welcome to the site, nice mill you will be happy with it. Congratulations

After a lot of scrubbing and a little touch-up painting, it's beginning to take shape. Testing out the Fuji VFD.

IMG_1429.JPG

How many people actually have an unbroken brake plate? I decided to give silver brazing a try. This is a bad design. The hole creates a stress riser, guaranteeing that they will break there.

IMG_1425.JPG

There was too much wear on the inside of the cone pulley (another reason the brake breaks). I'm turning it 0.200" oversize in order to sleeve it.

IMG_1424.JPG

Out of sequence, but here's how I polished up the ram. A light touch with some 180 shop roll, then a buff with 400. Used the four-jaw because it didn't take much runout to make my little Logan start to shake. Once it was indicated in it was happier the faster I spun it. The belt made a cute little chirp every time I started it, though. Did the same thing with the quill. Everything moves silky smooth now.

IMG_1416.JPG

Back