New and Improved 1440GS Ordered

If you’re buying for a business get what you need and start making money. It’s called opportunity cost and if your plan is sound you won’t regret stretching to get started sooner. Since you’ve had your hands on real commercial iron dealing with hobby stuff probably doesn’t make sense for a business. Capital investment is what makes manufacturing run.

John
Agree John. Decided to cry once and save for a real industrial machine. So there will be an extra 1440 2SM-V available for a lucky hobbyist. A little bummed about pushing skills out a year or two - but there is plenty to keep me busy.

I offered to ship mine back at my cost within two weeks of receiving it and pay the difference for a 1440GT and they wouldn't do it.
Hozzie, I certainly do not remember that, and I looked through all of our messages, and can not find that mentioned once. Looks like you received in July or , and I heard nothing until October when you needed a gear in the gearbox. All I can find is me recommending that you to buy the 1340GT at the time before you ended up deciding on the 1440GS. Strongly recommending the machines from Taiwan over that 1440GS. A quote from what I had typed, copied from our messages from before you placed the order:

Also, the statement that you made below, "I really want the quality of the Taiwan machine, but can't justify the cost of the 1440GT and the 1340 doesn't have a brake or enclosed gearbox. I will mainly be doing gunsmithing so the GS seems to make sense." That makes me nervous. Just don't expect the Chinese machine to be as good. Its a decent lathe, but they will NOT be as good as the Taiwan made machines. If you have decided to go that way, no problem at all, but I just wanted to say that once more just so we are on the same page.

You've been extremely polite every time, not a problem with you, just had to clear it up since people read these for years to come. All good.

Last email I have from you is showing from November 2017. If there is still a problem please contact us so we can get it figured out.

Or if you want to upgrade to the 1440GT or the 1440TL, as long as your machine hasn't been abused or anything (Used is fine of course, but abused is not, I am sure its fine just had to put that in here), order a new machine from us, send the GS back, Ill give full credit for what you paid for it towards one of these 1440's. No need to lose thousands selling it off, you lose nothing other than the time to get it ready for shipping. I will make this offer good for 30 days from the date of this post, which is 4-8-2021. Only thing is we are months out on the 1440GT Lathes, so many on backorder, but I can get you in line and we will get it figured out. Email sales@precisionmatthews.com if you want to do that. Or tech@ if you have a problem you just want to get figured out.

If you’re buying for a business get what you need and start making money. It’s called opportunity cost and if your plan is sound you won’t regret stretching to get started sooner. Since you’ve had your hands on real commercial iron dealing with hobby stuff probably doesn’t make sense for a business. Capital investment is what makes manufacturing run.

Absolutely. I try to explain this to customers every day. Couldn't have said it better myself.

This new 1440GS replacement will be improved over the old model. But it still is not at nice as our 1440GT or TL Series. With that said, I would say well over 90% of customers are happy with the Chinese machines like the 1440GS or others. They fit a price point, are DECENT machines, and many many people turn out great work with them. But I would say that 99% of customers are happy with the Ultra Precision series that we have which are made in Taiwan. You get what you pay for, there is no question about it, but both machines definitely have their place. If it was up to me, we would only sell the best of the best. But we also have to sell what people want and what they will buy. So we have both.

Hozzie, I certainly do not remember that, and I looked through all of our messages, and can not find that mentioned once. Looks like you received in July or , and I heard nothing until October when you needed a gear in the gearbox. All I can find is me recommending that you to buy the 1340GT at the time before you ended up deciding on the 1440GS. Strongly recommending the machines from Taiwan over that 1440GS. A quote from what I had typed, copied from our messages from before you placed the order:

Also, the statement that you made below, "I really want the quality of the Taiwan machine, but can't justify the cost of the 1440GT and the 1340 doesn't have a brake or enclosed gearbox. I will mainly be doing gunsmithing so the GS seems to make sense." That makes me nervous. Just don't expect the Chinese machine to be as good. Its a decent lathe, but they will NOT be as good as the Taiwan made machines. If you have decided to go that way, no problem at all, but I just wanted to say that once more just so we are on the same page.

You've been extremely polite every time, not a problem with you, just had to clear it up since people read these for years to come. All good.

Last email I have from you is showing from November 2017. If there is still a problem please contact us so we can get it figured out.

Or if you want to upgrade to the 1440GT or the 1440TL, as long as your machine hasn't been abused or anything (Used is fine of course, but abused is not, I am sure its fine just had to put that in here), order a new machine from us, send the GS back, Ill give full credit for what you paid for it towards one of these 1440's. No need to lose thousands selling it off, you lose nothing other than the time to get it ready for shipping. I will make this offer good for 30 days from the date of this post, which is 4-8-2021. Only thing is we are months out on the 1440GT Lathes, so many on backorder, but I can get you in line and we will get it figured out. Email sales@precisionmatthews.com if you want to do that. Or tech@ if you have a problem you just want to get figured out.

Absolutely. I try to explain this to customers every day. Couldn't have said it better myself.

This new 1440GS replacement will be improved over the old model. But it still is not at nice as our 1440GT or TL Series. With that said, I would say well over 90% of customers are happy with the Chinese machines like the 1440GS or others. They fit a price point, are DECENT machines, and many many people turn out great work with them. But I would say that 99% of customers are happy with the Ultra Precision series that we have which are made in Taiwan. You get what you pay for, there is no question about it, but both machines definitely have their place. If it was up to me, we would only sell the best of the best. But we also have to sell what people want and what they will buy. So we have both.
Matt, I do appreciate the response. I have tried to be fair as I do understand that sometimes there are just lemons. I unfortunately felt like I got one and didn't have a lot of options as I saw it to get it remedied. My intent with any of my posts was simply to make sure the person really understood what could happen and to be sure of what they are ordering. No need to rehash any of that.

I sincerely appreciate and plan to take you up on your offer. I am not familiar with the 1440TL, but will do some research and be in touch to work out what works for both of us.

I don't know what else to say, but thanks for doing this. It is appreciated. There is nothing worse than having a piece of equipment you don't have confidence in.

Jamie

Just a note on the quality of PM's Taiwan Machines: I've had my 1340GT since early '15 (March?) and do mostly gunsmithing on it and on my PM935 mill. They both are still running strong, and very accurate. When cutting on barrels, bushings, or mounting spuds on the 1340GT, I can take sub thou cuts and almost always hit my target dimension. When I don't, it's me, not the machine. These machines do seem to hold up well.

Just my opinion of course. :)

I am not familiar with the 1440TL, but will do some research and be in touch to work out what works for both of us.
Check out BasementShopGuy on YouTube. Everything he says about the 1640TL would apply to the 1440TL. The TL series lathes are made by Sun Master and are truly world-class machines. The extra bore diameter on the spindle is also unique to PM and a huge benefit for production work.

Check out BasementShopGuy on YouTube. Everything he says about the 1640TL would apply to the 1440TL. The TL series lathes are made by Sun Master and are truly world-class machines. The extra bore diameter on the spindle is also unique to PM and a huge benefit for production work.
Thanks. I didn't realize the TL was that much bigger/heavier. The 1440GT will be overkill in and of itself for me, so going bigger/better isn't necessary as all I am doing is personal gun work for the most part. To be honest, the 1340 GT would be fine now that I have a bit more experience. The GS was my first "real" lathe and I wanted to have the foot break just in case as I had zero experience using a lathe hence why I didn't get the 1340GT to start. I have a lot of tooling/chucks that will fit the 1440GT from my GS so it will make for an easy swap and hopefully make it easier on Matt.

Last edited:
Hozzie,
The electronic braking with the VFD can stop the chuck in about 1 second, which is really nice for close work in near the chuck. If you end up with either GT model and need some help with the VFD install, let me know and I will give you a hand. I previously owned the 1340GT and also worked on a couple of 1440GT lathes, both are very fine lathes and one can do very accurate work with either. Having a bit more heft and having a foot brake to lock the chuck for hand tapping is a plus for the 1440GT. The 1440TL is a beast, but mighty nice. If I wasn't already tooled up for a 1340 lathe, I would have gone for the 1440TL, but I purchased my ERL1340 from QMT and it does everything I need. The ERL/TL are about 4" wider in the the headstock, so that may be a factor.
Mark

I have mksj's electronic braking circuit on my 1340GT. When spinning my 8" PBA chuck at < 800 rpm or so I use the 1 second brake. For higher rpms I use the 3 second brake. For blind hole threading or boring it really helps save my nerves. And my tooling. :D

It is tough, it is every day, same thing. Nothing related to anyone above, just in general. I have the customers who say they are very picky and take great pride in their tools, I always recommend the higher end machine. Some go for it, some want it but then buy on price only. I wish I could show them all in person first, but that just isn't possible.

I've even thought about having the machines come in partially finished and then finishing it all here. But that requires finding people who are good at this kind of thing, it is not easy. Then the price goes way up, people will still compare prices with other brands and buy the cheaper machine most of the time. And at that point, the machines from Taiwan come in to play. So many ideas through my head every day.

Back