New and Improved 1440GS Ordered

Hozzie,
The electronic braking with the VFD can stop the chuck in about 1 second, which is really nice for close work in near the chuck. If you end up with either GT model and need some help with the VFD install, let me know and I will give you a hand. I previously owned the 1340GT and also worked on a couple of 1440GT lathes, both are very fine lathes and one can do very accurate work with either. Having a bit more heft and having a foot brake to lock the chuck for hand tapping is a plus for the 1440GT. The 1440TL is a beast, but mighty nice. If I wasn't already tooled up for a 1340 lathe, I would have gone for the 1440TL, but I purchased my ERL1340 from QMT and it does everything I need. The ERL/TL are about 4" wider in the the headstock, so that may be a factor.
Mark

Well, I will probably take you up on that. Just told Matt to go ahead with the 3 Phase 1440GT. The good news with the wait is I have plenty of time to read the plethora of info out there and plan well (hopefully). I have read some of the VFD threads before so I will go back to those and re-read. I am sure there will be questions upon questions coming so thanks in advance! The good news is that I am pretty good with the search function so I'll try not to wear out your generosity.

Congratulation on the purchase of a PM 1440 GT it is a beautiful machine. I purchased mine three years ago and after speaking with Mark Jacobs, he built a new Control Panel. Not having electrical experience, Mark's writeup on the steps to install the VFD and Control Panel gave me the confidence to complete the job. He walked me through the process of wiring up the VFD (purchased from Matt) and the new Control Panel in phone calls, e-mail and text messages over a couple of months. The lathe has worked flawlessly ever since and each time I use the proximity stop, the variable speed control or the forward/reverse jog switch, I am grateful to have made the choice to enhance the lathe and add additional capabilities. Good luck on your journey and happy experiences.

^^^ what he said. My PM 1440GT has only been here a few weeks. I also did the Mark Jacobs conversion, I had exchanged a few emails and read most everything I could find here about the system, some wait and do it later and some do it on the front end. Everyone has their own reason but I highly recommend the system and the best time to do it in my opinion is before you remove the machine from the pallet. Much more room than when you have it place, I removed the and replaced the control board, re-wired and installed the switches before taking the machine off the pallet.

I will say when you get the system from Mark an you open it, it looked liked I was in over my head. I'm not an electrician but 20 year automotive technician background, did all the wiring for the shop. Mark does a great job with the instructions, it's really straight forward. I am very pleased that I went this route instead of RPC and I am sure you will be as well. If you think I could help in any way please just reach out.

I feel like I need to apologize to MtnBiker for hijacking his thread. I really do hope your 1440GS works out great. Sounds like it should from what Matt told me about the new machines. Hope your wait isn't too long.

Does the 1440GT have the same oil drip system as the 1340GT? I know BladesIIB on youtube has a 1440

Back