New band saw blade

Looks good to me. Now you wait. See if you can get a moisture metre. I have found starting with a good flat base and pile your lumber evenly and flat with 1\2"x 3\4" hardwood stickers spaced 24" on centre for 4\4 lumber. I will cover the lumber with a sheet of plywood if its stored outside. You will want it where there is lots of air flow thru the whole pile.
Your piles are easy because they are small.
Most parts of the country you need 6-8 percent moisture content for building furniture, depending on relative humidity. If you live in a humid area you can probably go as high as 11%. .
Just remember when you build something lumber expands and contracts in thickness and width. Not length.
Cheers
Martin

Put some weight on the top of it also, will help keep the top board or two flatter.

In addition to the recommendations from Martin, I've always coated the ends on mine. Used to dip in melted candle wax which worked well, then used roofing tar (that was really messy), so now the few that I do I just paint the ends with a few coats of acrylic paint. Probably not optimum, but it will retard the end drying somewhat and help with checking.

-frank

Hi Ray, looks like you did well on your sawmilling. First piece of rurniture I built was from Florida cedar, cut from the forest south of Astor, Lake County , FL. It was given to me by a retired Daytona police officer while I was with the Navy at the bombing range nearby 1971-74. Excuse the clutter.
image.jpg

Thanks all for the sugestions.
The chest looks very nice ELHEAD

Ray

Back