New Bench Mill Purchase

mec9900

Registered
Registered
I am looking at purchasing a new bench mill. I think I have narrowed it down to either a Precision Matthews PM727V or a Weiss VM32L. I can find plenty of reviews on Precision Matthews and the PM727V, but not very much on Weiss or the VM32L. Does anyone have any other suggestions that I should consider. I have owned a Excello knee mill, but have moved and only have room for a bench mill. It will go in my basement. I will have to take it apart as I do not have an outside entrance. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Might look at the PM-30MV and the Taiwanese 727 counterpart which is the PM-728VT if you are looking at a bit higher build quality. Weiss has always been a bit of an unknown when it comes to service and parts in the US, although they do have an outlet in the US these days and it is now sold by DROPros (which have a very good reputation). I still think from a service and parts point of view you would be better off with the PM line, or Grizzly for that matter. The PM-728VT would be my first choice at the same price as the VM32L if you need to break it down to get it into the basement, otherwise the PM-727V is an impressive little mill and has a higher top end then the Weiss. If you have 220V then look at the PM-30MV.

Might look at the PM-30MV and the Taiwanese 727 counterpart which is the PM-728VT if you are looking at a bit higher build quality. Weiss has always been a bit of an unknown when it comes to service and parts in the US, although they do have an outlet in the US these days and it is now sold by DROPros (which have a very good reputation). I still think from a service and parts point of view you would be better off with the PM line, or Grizzly for that matter. The PM-728VT would be my first choice at the same price as the VM32L if you need to break it down to get it into the basement, otherwise the PM-727V is an impressive little mill and has a higher top end then the Weiss. If you have 220V then look at the PM-30MV.
Thanks for the reply. The PM 727V for $2099.00 is at the top of my budget. The only reason I am looking at the Weiss VM32L is Toolots has it on sale for $1899.00. I really like the PM-30MV but it is $2399.00. By the time I add shipping and a do dad or to to the PM 727V it is $2500 - $2600.00

If you plan on using and keeping your mill for 20 years or so , $300-$600 bucks isn't much for buying a better machine . The re-sale value would also be greater if ever sold .

If you plan on using and keeping your mill for 20 years or so , $300-$600 bucks isn't much for buying a better machine . The re-sale value would also be greater if ever sold .
I am 70 years old and retired/retarded. I hope I have another 20 years let in me. The wife sits the budget. I had a complete shop on the farm, clausing 12/36 lathe, Excello VS knee mill, and on an on. I am going to make parts for my R/C hobby, planes, quads, and construction equipment.

Very cool! There’s another member on here RVJimD who has some very neat crawler and loader stuff going on. I’ve spent many an hour watching his dump truck go back and forth in his sand pile.

-frank

It sounds like you have a pretty solid idea of what you want, or at least what a mill that will fit your budget / space is capable of.
I'm not sure about the 727 but I know there are a couple of members here with the PM25. Looking at the specs the 727 looks very similar but with a taller column and bigger motor.

There also is a youtuber Blondihacks who uses a PM25 mill, not the exact one you are looking at, but it still might be useful to see a similar mill actually being used. In one of the videos she talks a bit about the specific mill and the pros / cons she has found with it.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7Jf7t6BL4e74O53dL6arSw

Very cool! There’s another member on here RVJimD who has some very neat crawler and loader stuff going on. I’ve spent many an hour watching his dump truck go back and forth in his sand pile.

-frank
It gets addictive, the more you watch, the more you want to watch. A dump truck and a loader are on the agenda if I ever get over the move.

Back