New brakes and now no back gear

Ed ke6bnl

Registered
Registered
New brakes and now no back gear, I put the brake pads on put it together and when I put it in back fear it locks the spindle. Thinking maybe a spring fell out of place. Hope to disassemble again and look soon. Was working does not seem like the arm on the top is raising the assembly enough, thanks

Was working does not seem like the arm on the top is raising the assembly enough, thanks

I think you're correct, that's about the only thing that will stop the dogs from disengaging. But now the question is: Why? Something is not right.

Quite often new sets of holes for the two pins for the high gear ring get drilled and tapped at a different level to the originals to compensate for wear. Possible you put it back together in a different set to how it was? Definitely sounds like high gear dogs aren't disengaging.

Quite often new sets of holes for the two pins for the high gear ring get drilled and tapped at a different level to the originals to compensate for wear. Possible you put it back together in a different set to how it was? Definitely sounds like high gear dogs aren't disengaging.
I just went out after writing this question and found another set of holes and though I got it now, but no luck but thanks for the explanation on why some have more than 2 holes

WELL, all is now working. 1st I had the brake shoes upside down and it did not let the shoulder bolts drop in far enough, then put it back together and it went into back gear seemed like time to call it quits. started it up and it made a racket the cog gear were not totally released. What I did is to make a .025 in shim to go under the ring with the arm on top that raises the cog. and it is now all good. this is a very old mill and there is a combination of wear in the machine. AND the brakes work fully for the first time since I got it. I want to thank you all for your help that sent me in the right direction.

Attachments

• 20200509_101640.jpg
    20200509_101640.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 14
Back