New BS-0 "dropped" before delivery, what would you do?

When the Chinese make a product, whether it's a lathe or a dividing head, some of them end up as out-of-spec scrap. But they don't melt that stuff down and start over, they instead send it to a clearing house. That's how you "save money" on eBay or AliExpress. Sure, the pictures look the same!
At first, when I read this, I really wanted to disagree with you. Now, I have come around to your way of thinking. That clearance unit, was subpar. It was out of spec, the bearing housing was cracked, and it didn't turn freely. The packing inside the box did not restrain the parts during shipping. The styrofoam did not fill the box, there was a 0.75" gap between the carton and the styrofoam.

The BS-0 I got from PM was packed better, (in the external box AND the internal box), had added stuff, was adjusted better, and just made with a little more care. The internal box was nearly identically marked, but the styrofoam liner was better made, for one, it filled the box, and two, it restrained the parts better. (The cutouts were tight to the parts.) The PM unit is better. Is it perfect, no. But is it real nice compared to the eBay junk I received? Heck yes! Glad to have purchased the PM BS-0 as a replacement.

Sad to say but it's a different business mindset. It seems to be "someone will buy this and if they don't like it I'll refund the money eventually. But, maybe they won't know any better and will just accept it".

One other thing to consider is many of these sellers have no idea of what they are selling, how it's used and how to tell if it's any good or not. They just acquire some stuff, look up the price and place their ad. Nothing more to it, just a business selling stuff cheap.

John

Most of the Ebay stuff, is just dropped shipped. The seller advertises a ton of stuff, then if something sells, they buy it from the warehouse, and have it shipped tot he buyer. I just bought a part on ebay, that said it was coming from china. I got it a few days later, shipped from Homedepot. So I looked at homedepot, I could have saved 53 cents on a $6 part. maybe the ebay seller got a discount, so he may have made $1.

I clearly missed a few pages of this thread on my first read. I deleted my comment to watch a Indy Bears video on tearing it down. Looks t like that was already watched and tear down occurred. All the best.

Last edited:
I have a BS-1 on the way and was just checking out this video from Bundt Bears Shed. Strips the whole unit down and checks it out. Even builds a couple new parts to make it better. I think this video and an hour of your time will tell you more than any manual and help you figure out if any other hassle is required. Good luck, I know that nagging feeling when you get something and it is not everything you hoped for. I hope this helps you out.
I have watched that video. The video was very helpful. Used it to learn how take apart the first (defective) unit. Glad I watched it, as I found my first BS-0 had a broken bearing housing. I never would have been able to find the problem without a complete teardown.

The second unit is a lot nicer. Smoother with very little backlash. At the moment, I don't even see the need to tear this one down. Some rainy day I'll do it, though, since I've already seen how dirty the first one was inside. The new BS-0 works, and that's good enough for me.

Glad you got a good one. I edited my original post. After posting, I found the other pages and I saw the detail where you had watched it and already torn yours down. Apologies for the late arrival. I have a PM BS-1 on the way and Hope it arrives safe.

No problem. Your PM BS-1 will undoubtedly arrive in good shape. Good luck with yours!

Back