New California Law Bans Products Containing Brass

PCT

Registered
Registered
I recently (12-26-16) ordered a rotary table from Grizzly Industrial. I was informed by Grizzly that my order was canceled due to a new California law which bans shipment of anything to California which contains brass. I phoned for clarification, the Grizzly rep said that they can no longer ship anything to CA that has any brass content due to the new law. Apparently, it is the lead in brass that is the problem.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any way to get around it? Has the "Nanny State" run amok?

That law was passed relating to plumbing fixtures. I didn't realize it was expanded to industrial products, if that's the case, maybe the legislature needs to take a look at what they passed. o_O That's just crazy. :confused 3:

Thinking that was not real well thought out.

That’s a new one on me?????? I hope this is all some kind of miss understanding. There are literally millions of stand-alone products and products with brass components in them…MILLIONS.

With a bit more research, I can't find any reference relating to anything except plumbing and some jewelry. I suggest this is something completely new or Grizzly is mistaken.

EDIT: I found this. It could be a labeling issue

California Notice on Brass

Proposition 65, the Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986, was initiated in California. Under this act, a list of chemicals that are known to the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm is published annually. This list contains more than 700 chemicals that can be found in consumer and industrial products or services, in addition to chemicals that are released into the environment.

As part of this California law, businesses are required to provide warnings for products that may contain any listed chemical. As such, the following warning will be included on specific product web pages and included with all orders shipped to the state of California:

WARNING: These products may contain chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm.

Products most likely to require Proposition 65 warnings include brass items, finishing products, items made of PVC. The state of California's advice regarding safe handling of most of these products is to wash your hands after handling.

For more information about Proposition 65, please refer to the following website: http://www.oehha.ca.gov/prop65.html

Last edited:
If there was a new law banning brass coming into CA, shooters would have heard about it. Lots of gun laws lately, but I haven't heard anything like this.

Looks to me that people in California will no longer have any running water in their homes. Copper pipe, faucets and a multitude of plumbing fittings.
Pierre

I am not aware of a law Banning brass, but rather the law that states that certain products containing lead have to have the warning stated above. We had to include the warning when we shipped our power tools to California since the PVC power supply cords contained lead.

David

Just thinking guys.....stay within the bound of the "no politics" policy. Everything fine so far, so let's keep it that way please. It's a fair subject of discussion.

I doubt seriously that the legislature has any idea how many products contain lead or brass, so I wonder about the origins of these new regulations.

I sent an email to the address on the linked page that Jim Dawson posted asking for clarification.
Pierre

Back